Monday, August 1, 2011

Stories of Sugar Gliders & The Return of Mountain Dew: Vin Diesel

So, I do apologize for being on the negative side in the special blog I posted on Thursday. This one will be more positive. It’s mainly about me getting to go to Daytona Beach on Friday.

For the first time in a few years, when I was in Daytona Beach I was able to go to the beach and enjoy that. If you don’t know, there are big sections of the beach that you can drive and park on, which I’ve done before. I took a long scenic route there which involved mainly two lane roads, which made for pretty scenery, but I also had to deal with frustrating traffic. I won’t go into detail there, though. I stopped to get gas and I went in for a drink; I found some hunting-themed energy drink. I don’t even remember what it’s called, which is a pretty good sign of what I thought of said drink. As I headed into Daytona Beach, I passed by a Food Lion. Now, if you don’t know that’s a popular chain of grocery stores that are mainly in the Mid-Atlantic area, such as the Carolinas. I had no idea there were any in Florida, so I made a mental note to myself to stop in there after I was done at the beach.

As for the beach (which I believe was technically in Ormond Beach instead of Daytona Beach, as that’s where I entered town first) it was a nice time. It wasn’t too crowded, the water was warm, there was a nice little breeze, there were birds on the beach pecking for food… it was a nice scene. Oh, and some of the ladies there that were wearing bikinis… not bad either! None of them asked if I could rub any sunscreen on them, sad to say. Still, I had a nice time in the water and laying on my beach towel getting some sun. I didn’t get burned so badly that I needed aloe vera once I got home, so that was a plus. Overall, it was nice getting to spend a few hours on a beach relaxing.

Once I left the beach I went into that Food Lion to check it out. It turns out they had some soda that I had been looking for; awhile back I heard that Mountain Dew was going to offer in the summer some limited editions of old soda; the two I knew of were Mountain Dew: Pitch Black (from way back in ’04; it’s a grape flavor) and Mountain Dew: Supernova (a strawberry melon flavor; that’s what it says on the can; it’s not a reference to what I saw on the beach; it’s a rejected flavor from one of those DEW-Mocracy campaigns). I tried to find them at various stores in the area but no one had it, which made me unhappy as Pitch Black was supposed to come out in MAY. Yet another reason for me to get ticked off at Florida, as if I needed more reasons to do that. Hell, there was something I’ll tell later that got my dander up. Anyway, I have no idea why Mountain Dew named some flavors after mediocre sci-fi movies from the past 15 years, but they did. At the time I joked that Mountain Dew: Pitch Black should be called Mountain Dew: Vin Diesel and when they released a different grape flavor called Mountain Dew: Pitch Black II I called it Mountain Dew: Chronicles of Riddick; I’m glad that finally I can use those old clever jokes again. So anyhow, I got two cases of each along with some other items from that Food Lion, then I headed off to the local Volusia Mall in town to see what was poppin’ there.

At the Volusia Mall I walked around and didn’t do too much else… but I did see something curious. In the middle of the mall there was a temporary display and some goofballs were peddling something called a Sugar Glider, which is a marsupial from Australia. I sure as hell had never heard of a “sugar glider” before but I looked online and it’s not only legit, but apparently “popular” as a pet in the U.S. At least that’s what was claimed online. It’s a little critter which does look “cute”… I’m not sure I’d trust most people to properly care for such an exotic creature, though. Especially many of the people you encounter in Daytona Beach! Sorry, but remember that the two most popular activities in that city are stock car racing and a giant biker rally. Speaking of that…

Before I drove back home in the evening, I stopped by a McDonalds right before I-4 as I heard about their new Mango Pineapple Real Fruit Smoothie, and as I highly praise their other smoothies, I had to try that one too. I ordered Chicken McNuggets and that beverage (which in fact is some good stuff) but not before some angry redneck barged in and made a scene about his order getting screwed up. Alright, so the staff there appeared to be rather incompetent but the stink he raised was more than what was warranted and he stormed off even before getting the refund he wanted, that hillbilly stump-puller was so mad. Between that and having to listen to a bratty little girl… I was happy my beverage was so tasty.

My weekend was boring and the only interesting I did both days was catch the MMA show on Showtime from the Strikeforce promotion. At least it ended on a high note. I can tell you I did NOT watch that ridiculously overhyped “Shark Week” and I won’t be watching any of it, as I never do around this time of year. To me, talk about repetitive and an overstated thing.

Anyhow, if you heard the news about a lady on the beaches of Daytona getting hit by a lifeguard driving a truck, that happened Sunday, two days after I was there. Talk about something I am glad I did not see live in front of me. On the local news they interviewed someone from Quebec about what happened, and I was not surprised a Francophone from Canada was interviewed, as when I was there I saw no less than three vehicles with license plates designating they were from the land of poutine and pate chinois; that was three more than what I was expecting to see. Now, one of these days I’d love to spend time in Quebec and visit the sights. You know, fly up and rent a car and drive around. It’d be a unique experience considering the province is unique compared to the others in the Great White North.

As for what I’ll be doing the first week of August, just about all I have on the agenda is checking out the latest UFC pay per view at Buffalo Wild Wings, and I’m sure I’ll come up with other wacky adventures to get involved with.

No comments:

Post a Comment