Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Special Thursday Blog: Blair Rants About Local Pro Wrestling

The title says it all. Monday and Tuesday were nothing-happening, so this will be all about Wednesday and what ended up happening in the evening. It won’t be too much about the pro wrestling matches in particular, so if you’re not a fan of that entertainment, it doesn’t mean you should skip out on reading this blog.

Now, Wednesday I had free time so on a rainy afternoon (at least in Clermont and the surrounding area) I drove to good old Pinkberry to have a treat there, Larry’s Giant Subs to have dinner, and then I went to Old Town to see a wrestling show at a club/bar there called Son on the Beach. Clever name, no? I did have to deal with stupid f*** traffic on the way there but I won’t get into that, except that apparently the rain made MY IQ drop there for a brief bit; still, I was happy to get around a driver who was moving dangerously slow, and I say that as traffic was starting to back up pretty bad behind that mouthbreathing Troglodyte. Typical Floridian… to talk about more happy things, the mango yogurt I had at Pinkberry was pretty tasty, and so was the sub at Larry’s. I also saw a fancy car out in the wild for the first time: not shockingly, it was in the Dr. Phillips area and I saw a Nissan GT-R, a high-powered vehicle that goes from 0-6 somewhere between 3-4 seconds; with that kind of performance it’s pretty popular, and I was happy to see one on the road.

I then had free time so on the way to Old Town I stopped by The Loop shopping area on John Young and as I’m a dork I went into Books A Million. Hopefully that stays around now that Borders is closing down for good. Yeah, that does make me sad! While at Books A Million I did make a purchase there. Then, it was off to Old Town. The last time I tried to go there, there was no place to park due to the people working there being cretins, so I left in a huff, pretty aggravated.

As for the show itself, it was a nice lineup filled with many familiar faces and most of the matches were at least good. Yet, I left before the main event took place. Why? Let me explain. The show started off with a special match that they said wasn’t part of the show and instead was “complimentary”… it was more of an insult! It was a tag match involving four green guys, only one I had ever heard of before. The match was awful. There was no pace or flow; they were doing random things randomly. There was also a story of the good guys team never getting along, and it was just a disaster; I think it was so bad it killed the crowd for the first few matches! Much to my amusement, the match was won with a Side Russian Legsweep, a basic move rarely done anymore and legit I don’t know if anyone has won a match with that in like the past 20 years or so.

After a few matches of silence the promotion decides to go WAY overboard in trying to get the dumb crowd into the show. From that point on they CONSTANTLY asked people to “make some noise” about 1,000 times in a total condescending and rude manner, and this resulted in a lot of screeching, both from adults and kids; yeah, kids were there. They offered prizes, which was a 100 dollar bar tab for adults and in what screams “bullshit” to me, a promise that the loudest kid would get “two tickets to any theme park in Orlando”. Now, how in the hell would a small-time wrestling promotion have that kind of cash readily available? That sounds like crap to me, so I’m sure that the kid who won was the daughter of a wrestler or something of that sort. Something like that has happened many times before in the history of small-time indy wrestling, so I’m not even too mad about that. There was a “brief” intermission right before the main event that was anything but. That featured some idiot constantly yelling and berating the crowd to-you guessed it-make some noise over and over and it was a major turn-off. Then, the raffle happened in the ring and what should have been a quick thing was drawn out for absolutely no reason at all and of course featured even more berating of the audience and I got so fed up with the crap that I left even before the main event, so to this point I have no idea who even wrestled in that last bout. Not even the strong well drinks I had of a rum and coke and a screwdriver could cool off the fire I was experiencing there. This promotion is supposed to have shows there every Wednesday but needless to say, I don’t plan on being back there anytime soon if that’s the way they are going to act. It’s a shame as if not for their BS way of dealing with the audience, it’d be the type of show I’d enjoy on a weekly basis, at least with the type of lineup I saw them use last night.

Now, I do have an interesting story from my time there at the club. I sat at a table by myself and a Hispanic family asked me if they could sit by me, and I agreed to it. I don’t know if they were all daughters or not, but three underaged teenaged girls sat by me. No, I’m not a pervert so nothing went on there, but I’ll say that once they become 18… and oddly, two of them wore belly-exposing outfits. Their parents were fine with that choice of clothing? It turns out that those girls spent a lot of time either being bitchy or not even paying attention to the action and fiddling around with their iPods. If they were of age, that sort of conduct is a major turn-off so there wouldn’t have been any attempts by me to try and get to know them better.

By the way, this sort of behavior from me I had to do sometimes on my old Livejournal wrestling page, which I still have up; I just haven’t posted but one thing on it in over a year. However, sometime in August I plan on writing something new with that, where I’ll talk about some people passing away, how the scene isn’t as good as it used to be… you know, an upbeat thing just like this blog has been.

I still plan on doing a blog for the 1st of August. I’ll have a thing or two to write about so that it isn’t super-short, and it should with any luck be more cheery than this blog has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment