Monday, September 30, 2019

Ad Astra, The Shining, Florida Tech Football & Unleaded 88

The previous week had some ups & downs but at least there were some cool experiences. Monday the 23rd I only partially paid attention as the Chicago Bears beat a bad inept team in the Washington Redskins. Tuesday, I went and saw Ad Astra, and on an IMAX screen. Remember, I still use the AMC A-List app and it is great being able to have IMAX and Dolby Cinema screenings covered in one flat monthly fee. I understand why the average movie fan wasn't necessarily blown away by the movie as it is methodically paced and is actually a personal story involving father and son. To me, I never found it boring like many apparently did and both the visuals and score were great, so no complaints from me and I am glad I saw it that way. Dinner was had at a nearby Backyard Burgers, a place which makes decent food and I should frequent more often. The next interesting day was Thursday, when I saw another movie on the big screen: The Shining.

This was actually the third time that was seen theatrically by me; this time it was “4K remastered”, as later in the year that will be released on 4K UHD, for those that are familiar with the format that is superior to Blu-ray. Yeah, it did look and sound great; it was a national release on that night and also tomorrow night, the 1st. It drew a large crowd to the Altamonte Springs AMC, and I think many enjoyed it... I've experienced negative reactions to other revival screenings of other Kubrick movies, as I've talked about in the past. I did not say anything when I overheard someone respond “it's alright” when a third person asked them what they thought of this first time experience for them. The Shining is pretty incredible so it is unfortunate they did not love it more; it will also be unfortunate if its sequel Doctor Sleep is not a good film. We'll find out in early November... it would be unfair to expect it to be a masterpiece like The Shining is, but if it's at least good then I will not be crestfallen.

I'll skip ahead to the weekend and that happened to be the most exciting time of the preceding week. Overall the weekend wasn't the best, although I'll still try to be positive about it. I mean, at least I got to go to Florida Tech in Melbourne to see them play a Division II football game against conference rivals West Georgia. They play in a high school stadium, but that sometimes happens in this level of college football. I was there once before (in 2014, where they lost to Delta State; that was only the second year Florida Tech football has been a thing) and I do wish that the experience at the stadium was more customer friendly, like making it clear where general parking was... or which sections constituted general admission seating, for that matter. 

All that said, I ignored the loud/dopey people at the game and Florida Tech easily beat West Georgia 44-10. I won't even get into the bad experience on the way to Melbourne where I honked at a reckless driver and they got mad because they were stupid... and figuratively tried to bow up to me but they were ignored by me. Also, after the game I got some food & drinks at the Cumberland Farms-never go to the one on 1000 W New Haven Avenue... instead, go to the one on 4440 W New Haven Avenue, take my word for it and I wish that chain had a location in my town like they used to. Before the game I stopped at a local gas station in Palm Bay and filled up the gas tank with Unleaded 88; believe it or not, E15 gasoline got rebranded under that new name. Sunday, I did not go out to see the Bears play against the Minnesota Vikings... I just didn't care to. Despite their QB getting hurt early, Chicago was still able to win 16-6. Another reason for me to stay in: I had laptop issues. It took some time but they were successfully fixed; in addition, I decided it made sense to get around to tasks I had been putting off for too long, such as defragmenting the hard drive.

When I return next week... I do have a few things on the agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment