Monday, October 7, 2019

Pretzel Bacon King, Dollar General Market, Airport Treks & Sizzling Hot Takes

I have to start this out by talking about the weekend first, for an important reason. Saturday's plans went by the wayside, although it may be for the better considering that I left the house at Sunday morning at 3 AM (!) to drop someone off at the airport in Sanford. More on that in a bit. There was a local pro wrestling show right in the city I live in; it was only about a 15 minute drive to the building so it sounded like a nice deal; besides, I was invited on Facebook to attend. Well... back in the day when I used to go to these sorts of shows all the time, events starting late were unfortunately commonplace. Times are different now, I have far less tolerance for such things as the doors not even being open at 8PM when the show was supposed to start at 8PM... and I did not know anyone else in the crowd milling about outside, so... I left and went home, which at least was a short drive.

I know people will get mad at this but I have to be transparent here. Hopefully it won't be like what happened around 5 years ago or so, when another event did the same thing and was going to start real late so I just left... I got called either a liar or incompetent by someone who claimed “Why no, the show did not start that late!”, which was patently false. Pro wrestling these days... it has devolved for a variety of reasons so that's why I don't watch modern wrestling at all as how it used to be done was MUCH more entertaining. Anyhow, the trip to the airport went fine and on the way back I stopped at a Denny's, which was less zany than expected for the wee hours of Saturday night. Sunday I did not watch the Chicago Bears game that was in London. Now, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is brand new and looks nice at least from description and photos, but I am glad I did not bother due to the now-common unwatchability of the National Football League (this includes an atrocious call, and it went in favor of the Bears and I can admit it was hot garbage) & oh yeah, somehow Chicago lost to the much inferior Oakland Raiders.

Now back to chronology: the preceding week had some different sorts of events, along with familiar ones. Monday, I went and got a haircut; I know I say this all the time but it was much-needed. Tuesday, I went to Lakeland to visit more than one place, although the one I'll mention is The Brass Tap, located at Lakeside Village. I've literally parked next to the place plenty of times yet this was my first time inside the joint. I've been to a Brass Tap in Orlando before so I knew what it was all about. I had craft beer as I saw parts of the baseball Wild Card game where Milwaukee blew it late and lost to the Washington Nationals. The one brew I'll bring up is the pale ale with the awkward name Toppling Goliath XHOPS-Onyx; Toppling Goliath is an Iowa brewery and that drink had a strong fruity taste although that was fine by me. Before that I stopped at a Dollar General Market, as I had never been to one before and it was literally on my way to Lakeland. It is a grocery store and a standard one, except that the prices are pretty good, although the selection is naturally not as great as in a Publix or Winn-Dixie. I was in the rural Polk City so no surprise at the sight of a teen girl (w/ her mom) walking around the store barefoot!

Wednesday I saw the other Wild Card game at home, where the Tampa Bay Rays defeated the Oakland Athletics; I am glad they are doing well even if fans don't usually show up at Tropicana Field. Before that, I had the Pretzel Bacon King burger at Burger King. By modern BK standards that burger was fine, although the chain is not as good as they used to be, to be frank. They also had mozzarella sticks and yeah, don't get those as they are laughable compared to the ones you can find at many chain restaurants. In addition, a Mensa member ordered food after me at the counter and yet when order 90 was announced and the bag was on the counter, this jackass never looked at his receipt or even the receipt taped to the bag and instead start pawing in the bag before he realized his stupidity... Florida, everybody.

The only other event worth mentioning is that I actually had to make ANOTHER airport run, on Thursday; that was unexpected yet I was happy to do this task. When I return next Monday... I know that several theatrical films will be discussed.

No comments:

Post a Comment