Monday, September 23, 2019

Rambo: Last Blood, Smash Mouth, Sam's Club & Unexpected Car Shows

Things happened this preceding week which were unexpected. I mean, Tuesday the 17th I had nothing planned but due to circumstances I had free time so I returned to Walt Disney World, Epcot in particular. Their annual Food & Wine Festival began a few weeks ago and I fancied a look around to see what was new. Largely it's the same as usual; one obvious change (besides all the construction going on in the park, and their decision to take out the giant fountain: lame) was that the building in the Canada section of World Showcase that used to house the 360 degree short film... that is now being used as a center to purchase various varieties of cider, which I did have some. The band playing there on this day in 3 mini concerts a day was Smash Mouth. That made me feel old, as I remember when they were popular... in my high school days.

Wednesday I did nothing but Thursday I went with someone to a Sam's Club in Orlando. That went about the same as usual for my sojourns to that building... including erratic traffic there and back, unfortunately. Gas was also purchased using that person's Sam's card; on the way back dinner was at at an Ale House and that also went about the same as usual, with the food being fine. Friday was a different story. The plan before Tuesday night was for that day to have one thing for me to talk about... so imagine my surprise when on Tuesday night I saw a random yet ubiquitous Facebook advertisement which stated that the Central Florida International Auto Show-which I've gone to most years since 2005 or so, and always the day after Thanksgiving-is suddenly not during Thanksgiving weekend anymore but instead started... Friday, September the 20th. I was blindsided as I had heard nothing about the change beforehand. I would have been rather unhappy if I did not discover this until after the fact... so once, a targeted Facebook ad was actually useful.

Thus, I went there one afternoon and naturally it wasn't as busy as it would be during an extended holiday weekend; I imagine there were reasons why this change was made... at least for me I did not mind having less people around as I looked at all the 2019 or 2020 models. One happy difference was that some manufacters made a rare appearance at this show, such as BMW, Mini, Jaguar, Land Rover, and... Aston Martin. AM has beautiful cars so it was tremendous getting to see them in person. I posted various photos from the event on my Instagram page, in case anyone was curious.

The only other event from the past week worth mentioning: going to see Rambo: Last Blood. I've viewed all the previous entries on multiple occasions in the past and all are enjoyable in their own ways... First Blood: Part Two is a lot of fun in being over the top 80's excess and grand action like how they used to make them. Last Blood, I understand the criticisms... I mean, it is a trashy exploitation movie and John Rambo here doesn't seem exactly like the character of old. That said, I saw it with a big crowd who loved what they were seeing and it did aid me in having a great time with the film. The third act: wow.

When I return next Monday, I do have a few ideas as to what I'll be discussing then.

No comments:

Post a Comment