Friday, February 1, 2019

Here Comes The Sun, And I Say It's All Right

I am quoting Here Comes the Sun by The Beatles in this special post as I talk about the visitation and funeral I attended yesterday; that song and Fleetwood Mac's Landslide were played during the service. I alluded to this the last time I wrote here but this past Saturday, Rachel Bomse passed away. I have known her, her sibling Jordan and father Steve for years from back in the day when I used to attend local wrestling shows. I saw them often at those events; there are regrets over how I rarely attend shows anymore (because of reasons I won't get into) but I know I shouldn't. At least we follow each other on social media. I was shocked when I heard the awful news because she was way too young; what terrible news for her immediate family.

Thus, this is why I went to Inverness yesterday; ironically it was the same route that I took to attend shows in the city and also in Crystal River. I hadn't been on it in so long and yet little has changed. For a Thursday service, dozens of people were there to pay their last respects, and plenty more were there in spirit. There were nice speeches said by both family and friends; it was clear that Rachel was a very kind person who touched the lives of so many. Afterwards there was a catered dinner and I stuck around for that. As was the rest of the experience at the church, that was nicely done. I picked a random spot at one of the tables to sit down and eat. The people all around me... none of them I knew beforehand but they were all very nice. Some of them even became pals after meeting each other for the first time. A few shared something in common with me-I won't say what-so that was something different. Who knows if I'll interact with any of them again but it was nice meeting with them and hopefully none noticed or cared about my always “wonderful” social skills, or lack thereof.

I do have to admit that I did something which in hindsight was not good. I helped along with that group in carrying out the flowers into two different vehicles. After that I was with one of them (a young lady) and we were out in front. We briefly chatted and then I left as she waited for someone to pick her up. I was on the road for a bit then I realized I committed quite the faux pas. She is an adult and it was a church, but I should at least have asked if she wanted me to wait around until she was picked up. It was chilly and windy but I had a jacket in the vehicle... there are horror stories about girls being out in public by themselves... this is what I meant by “wonderful” social skills.

But I will presume she was fine and I don't want to have any regrets about what was a nice celebration of someone taken away far too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment