Monday, February 11, 2019

Cold Pursuit, In Order Of Disappearance, The Wandering Earth & MagicBands

Last Monday through Wednesday there really isn't anything to discuss; Tuesday night I went to Disney Springs for the purposes of walking about but that is about it. Thus I will bring up where I went on Tuesday the 29th of last month that I was going to mention but didn't. I was going to have dinner somewhere outside the park but because of circumstances I instead went to a nearby place... Hooters. I know, I know... the food there is fine plus on this occasion I had a one dollar margarita; I can't complain.

Wednesday night I revisited the 2014 Norwegian dark comedy film In Order of Disappearance, starring Stellan Skarsgard. That is something worth seeing, I say-plus that is the film which was remade as Cold Pursuit, which I saw on Thursday night. This was despite those shocking comments that Liam Neeson made this past Monday; believe me, my seeing the movie is definitely NOT an endorsement of what he said or what he did all those years ago. I presumed Cold Pursuit would be a homogenized version of Disappearance, as that film was pretty dark in its laughs and I know that wouldn't appeal to the type of crowd that loved Neeson in those Taken films or Unknown or The Commuter. Turns out, I was mistaken and except for a change in location the two movies are almost identical. Cold Pursuit is almost as good, IMO.

Thursday, I also received a new MagicBand; this should have been done years ago but as the original one I had still worked... the new one is a limited edition Darth Vader edition (in red) and I was happy with my selection. I saw Cold Pursuit and before the movie I was going to eat somewhere, but plans changed as a neighbor suddenly came over and needed my help with something. Turns out, that something was of some importance so I was happy to assist him with that and it was a good thing he caught me before I was going to leave. Instead I headed straight for Disney Springs again and had a quick bite to eat before seeing the film.

Friday and Sunday I did nothing at all, so onto Saturday. Late in the evening I went and saw another movie. I only found out about the film a few days prior... it is a Chinese movie which came out concurrently over there and is only playing at select locations around the United States and only at 9PM or later. It is a sci-fi film with an absolute bonkers premise: in the future the sun is disintegrating and instead of abandoning the Earth, Earth IS MOVED VIA THOUSANDS OF GIANT ENGINES and in 2,500 years it will be orbiting Alpha Centauri... I hope no one tells Neil Degrasse Tyson about this idea. Anyhow, much of it is like a typical Hollywood blockbuster, for better and for worse. It was fine overall; the movie did look and sound nice. I should also mention that it is IMAX-only showings, and it was in 3D, and it drew a nice crowd, and naturally I was one of a few who was not of Far East Asian heritage. It was an interesting thing to watch on what was a rainy Saturday night.

When I return a week from today, not much is on my agenda yet and it may be a real quiet week for me... hopefully it won't be.

No comments:

Post a Comment