Monday, January 28, 2019

They Shall Not Grow Old, The Golden Pod & Horrible News

It's never a good thing to start this on a bad note, but via Facebook I saw horrific news.  I won't go into too many details but someone I know passed away. This person I knew from the days when I went to local wrestling shows in Florida. That means I did not see her often in recent times but that last time was July 2018. I feel awful for her immediate family: I know two of them and they are definitely great people, so this is a tragedy all around, especially considering she was younger than me. Then again it's always tragic when someone I knew from high school or elsewhere suddenly die.

Last Monday, as it was the holiday I decided to take advantage of the free time by going to a movie theatre to see a documentary; it was Peter Jackson's They Shall Not Grow Old, where actual World War I footage from the British archives was colorized and otherwise manipulated to bring life and humanize those that fought in the war a century ago. As a nerd I was endlessly fascinated and it was tremendous seeing all that footage. On the way back, I had dinner at a KFC, as I hadn't been there in awhile; me going there was DESPITE the atrocious ad campaign they've had the past few years and not because of it. Tuesday and Wednesday I did nothing at all. Thursday, I went to a restaurant I discovered via Groupon; it is on I-Drive in Orlando and is known as The Golden Pod. 

It is a chocolate bar... or rather, a bar/restaurant which has chocolate as a theme. It started off in Australia and has a few locations in the Middle East/Asia. I know that some would not enjoy how the entire staff was Hispanic or how it took two people and five minutes for them to make my chocolate liquor drink... neither thing bothered me and that place hasn't been open for long. Modern EDM music blasting from the kitchen was different but overall the food and drink were pretty tasty; the meal I had was pancakes which included passion fruit sauce, nutella and some ice cream. As I was the only customer for most of my time there, giving The Golden Pod a shoutout here seems like a prudent thing to do.

Friday I did nothing and all Saturday consisted of was that horrible news I heard in the afternoon. Sunday was bad for different reasons. I won't get into the reasons why but I did go out in the cold windy rainy weather; from what I was told, it rained for 24 hours straight from early Sunday morning through the wee hours of the night. I have no idea why The Mall at Millenia was by far the busiest I had ever seen it but it was. I did not stay there long as I can always visit that joint and walk around when it's not jam-packed. I ended up at I-Drive and for the first time ever I tried Bar Louie, which has several locations in the area. The burger and beer I had were both fine, but the fries were more questionable, as I am unsure if all of them were fully cooked. Then again I'd rather forget about this past weekend due to the obvious reason and the weather and people not knowing how to drive in this weather... pushing all this out of my mind is the way to go.

When I return a week from today, hopefully things will improve & I can finally be a little more positive here.

No comments:

Post a Comment