Monday, February 25, 2019

Green Book, 76 Gasoline, Alita: Battle Angel & My Birthday

I haven't watched Green Book myself; I just know many were unhappy it won Best Picture last night. All I can say is that the real life topic of green books used by African-Americans is a fascinating topic. Monday, I went to the local Winn Dixie to pick up a few items. Tuesday I did nothing but Wednesday I returned to Walt Disney World, this time Epcot. I needed to be assured that my new MagicBand worked (it does) and I might as well visit their now annual International Festival of the Arts. I walked around, had dinner, purchased food & drink from the Mitsukoshi store, and I got to see various paintings that were on sale. Thursday I did nothing but Friday happened to be my birthday... somehow, my 38th  (!) one. 

My 21st was also on a Friday, and that weekend was much wilder than the weekend I just had. Back in 2002, that Friday and Saturday had one near-fight each that I was involved with, and both required a young lady to cool down and to be honest, prevent me from getting punched in the face! In contrast, this past Friday had me go to the local tax collectors to get my driver's license renewed. That process wasn't cheap but at least it was an efficient deal they have there; I only had to wait in line for a few minutes then I talked to the front desk then I was given a tag and I was called back to a desk, where I presented everything that was required, took a “vision test” which was one line, took the typically bad photo, paid and that was it. For dinner I went with my parents to Hurricane Grill & Wings, a place I have mentioned plenty of times before in the past. That went fine as their food is pretty tasty. Saturday I stayed in and relaxed but Sunday was different.

Sunday, I went to a few different locations. First, I stopped at a 76 gas station for the first time in years. They used to be in Florida at a few locations but left like 10 years ago. Notably, back in the days when I went to wrestling shows, I used to stop at a 76 for gas and/or for a drink on the way back home. A few days ago I discovered that they returned to Florida; while it's mainly in Jacksonville there are two stations in Orlando so I stopped at one. I then ended up at an Ollie's Bargain Outlets, a place I mentioned in the fall. The main event was me at a nearby AMC to see Alita: Battle Angel. The trailers weren't entirely convincing to me but I heard good reviews and as I suspected, the movie looked great visually. Sure it can be nitpicked but I'll say it was fine overall as it has a nice cast and the action scenes were at least fun and never difficult to make out.

I am glad that the visitors I mentioned the last time experience some unseasonably warm weather in the preceding week. This upcoming week has a different person visiting a parent and I know that will give me something to talk about when I return next Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment