Monday, October 29, 2018

Free Solo, 4DX, Pumpkin Ales & Eighteen Inning Baseball

Not the most exciting of weeks, but alas. Monday through Wednesday I did a few things. This included a visit to Wal-Mart, time spent at Disney Springs and yet another airport trip. The Disney Springs sojourn was to see a film called Free Solo; it was a documentary made by National Geographic about the free solo climber Alex Honnold. Free solo climbing is when you do mountain climbing without any safety equipment at all. He is great at that activity yet he had the crazy idea to try and climb El Capitan at Yosemite National Park; I was there as a kid and what he did was go 3,000 miles straight up a vertical granite face with little in the way to grab on to. It was an insane thing to attempt so it was natural that such a guy was profiled. He was indeed a little weird but once you see him try it... talk about breathtaking. Wednesday I made the airport journey, this time to Orlando International; beforehand I killed time at a BJ's Brewhouse & Restaurant, where I had a pumpkin ale. The drive there and back was especially bad traffic-wise, both due to the number of cars & the number of maniacs and clueless bozos on the road.

Thursday I did nothing except drink a pumpkin ale; it was a large bottle from Elysian and the brew was The Great Pumpkin. It was indeed good. Friday, I saw the movie It on the big screen. No, I did not travel back in time to last fall... and I saw the movie theatrically last year. No, those Regal Cinemas locations that have 4DX auditoriums have a special deal this Halloween week where they show a few different horror films a day. I presume most are not familiar with 4DX; it's a wacky gimmick (to be honest) where not only the seats move around to the action but there are other effects like wind blowing at you and from the seat-and sometimes from the side-rain falling on you (that can be turned off with a button push) and while it didn't happen in this film, other movies have a scent option. The experience was definitely different; at times it was distracting but 4DX wasn't something I hated so one day I will have to try it out with a new release. I mean, on Friday the main reason why I finally gave this a shot when it's been around for a few years now... tickets are even more expensive than for an IMAX screening, but for this week the price was half-off. Only a few other people were there but I presume it's usually more busy.. at least I hope so for this place's sake. Oh, and It is still very good; hopefully next year's Chapter 2 is just as fun.

Before that I ate at a nearby Hooters. I know, I know... I wish the music wouldn't have been so loud in there; otherwise I had no complaints, about the food or other things... the weekend nothing was done at all. Sunday, the Chicago Bears played against the New York Jets. It was not worth the effort to go somewhere to watch the contest in full. At least the Bears easily won, albeit over a not so good team. I did see parts of all five World Series games, including Friday night's game that went eighteen innings and did not end until after 3 in the morning Eastern time. I would have been more interested in the Dodgers winning as their last World Series was in 1988-those are the breaks. Nothing's on the agenda yet for my upcoming week-I know I'll stumble into an adventure or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment