Monday, October 15, 2018

First Man, Spruce Lager & Realizing The NFL Is Truly Unwatchable Now

Here is what I've done since this past Monday. On Columbus Day (or Indigenous Peoples Day, depending on which you prefer) I ended up in the Altamonte Springs area, where I first stopped at a Total Wine & More to pick up some beer (including something from Sam Adams known as Spruce Lager; yes, beer made with spruce tips. Odd, yet not bad), then ate at a WingStop, a place I hadn't been to in awhile. It'd have been better if that WingStop wasn't approximately 50 degrees inside but at least their food is fine. That was the highlights of what I did on this day, where because of occasional rain I saw even worse Florida traffic than usual-such as the aftermath of a few accidents-and even when it was clear out there were a number of morons who were driving dumb in several different ways. As I did nothing on Tuesday and Wednesday, I'll mention two things: the Conor McGregor fight that happened on the 6th of this month and its aftermath, it reminded me why I don't really watch the UFC or MMA in general anymore. It'd take way too long to explain all the reasons but I am glad I did not see a second of that fight. As for Hurricane Michael, I live a few hundred miles away from the Florida Panhandle so there was only some rain and wind where I live but that storm caused such catastrophic damage I feel awful for anyone that lives in the region.

Thursday, I went to the Florida Mall; I walked around and saw that some stores were new. Not a surprise, as I hadn't been there in awhile. Friday, it was a lame day overall as there were too many annoyances that piled up throughout the day. One highlight was going to the AMC at Altamonte Springs and as I am still an avid user of the AMC A-List app, that made it all the easier to see the new movie First Man on an IMAX screen... appropriate, as a few minutes near the end were shot with IMAX cameras. I understand why some were not fans of the film as it's focused on a man who was usually pretty stoic; it worked for me as I was never bored and as far back as I can remember I've enjoyed outer space so the topic seemed made for me anyhow. Friday and Saturday I did nothing of note; that was fine as it meant I did not have to deal with traffic, which was an issue throughout the week. There were amazing episodes of Live PD on and that captivated me.

Sunday, the Chicago Bears... they played at Miami against the Dolphins. I did not make the drive down there for the game; between being gone from the early morning until late at night, the exorbitant cost of a ticket and how the NFL has become even more unwatchable than it has the past few seasons (honestly, I am half expecting a new rule next season that all quarterbacks must be covered in bubble wrap to further protect those dainty little men)... thank goodness I did not make that long journey. Plus, the Bears lost right at the end of overtime and Miami had in a second string quarterback as the first string guy was injured; this result should not have happened. I did make a journey to see the game... I hadn't been to the Friendly Confines sports bar in a long while so why not return? At least I had a nice lunch and was able to bring home a nice dinner for someone else. But note that as I left this Chicago-themed place, some clowns were crowing about how their Dolphins won and trash-talking Chicago fans. They were ignored by me as honestly, I am better than those losers!

I'll close this out on a somber note. While I never got to talk to this individual personally, early last week someone who wrestled in Florida at local shows passed away due to a long illness they had. I will not mention their birth name but his wrestling persona was Navy Seal. On social media, many people in the scene were broken up over his death and had many different nice things to say about him; I regret not knowing someone so highly regarded but I still feel sad that he passed away.

When I return a week from today, I hope to be in a cheerier mood and much more importantly, I hope no further tragedies happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment