Monday, July 30, 2018

Mission: Impossible-Fallout, AMC Stubs A-List & Blair: Duck Whisperer

I have to start this off by mentioning... there were some not so great moments this past week as various people I know have had issues with their health. I'll be super-vague here but something suddenly happened to someone I know in Florida (I feel awful for them and their immediate family, as I've known them for years and just saw them a few weeks ago) and there is a friend of the family who has had cancer for awhile and things took a turn there; I also have sympathy for one of my parents there due to the circumstances.

Last Monday I ended up at Walt Disney World, Hollywood Studios in particular. I walked around the new Toy Story Land and of course the theme was done well by Disney. I went on a few rides but I'll mention one moment that not only shocked me but even an employee there. I was sitting on a ledge eating a funnel cake and drinking a root beer float; both were good. What turned out to be a mama duck came up right to me, looking for crumbs. As the food was messy... I was by a pond that had several ducks so this wasn't so unexpected. What WAS a surprise happened a few minutes later. That duck returned... with half a dozen ducklings and they all were right by me looking for food yet never went after my plate, plastic cup nor even touched me... yet they were all so close and I couldn't believe it. Apparently I am Doctor Doolittle and never realized it until now. It was a very nice moment that I especially appreciated during the more stressful moments of the preceding week.

Tuesday I went to Steak N Shake with someone; that went fine, as it usually does. I had a Frosted Flakes shake and yes, it was pretty good. Wednesday I did nothing but Thursday I returned to Disney Springs, this time to see Mission: Impossible-Fallout. I've watched the previous five movies before and some I am not a fan of, but the 4 & 5 were very good and there was very lofty praise for this sixth installment. Earlier in the month I signed up for AMC Stubs A-List, something I can use at AMC Theatres. I never signed up for MoviePass due to a variety of reasons and well, they are knocking on heaven's door now as the business model never sounded like it could work and clearly, it did not work. I know people who did use it a lot and it is bad for them that they'll now have to do something else or actually have to pay full price like most people do for a ticket.

Anyhow, AMC has had a Stubs reward program for a few years now and they recently added A-List to that. I signed up because besides priority lines and eventual discounts at concessions, you pay 20 bucks a month and you can see up to 3 movies a week; importantly for me, unless it's a special one time screening like a Fathom Event, all tickets are available for selection, including 3D and IMAX. It has more than paid for itself already and I know it will help me save money in the future even if I don't go as often as I have these past few weeks. As for Fallout... it was tremendous. Some parts of the story could be nitpicked but the action was so spectacular and done exactly the way I wanted it to (as in, like how Hollywood used to do it way back when), that shone over any flaws. Friday was boring, except that online I got to talk to someone I know who I haven't spoken to in any form in many, many years.

The weekend was rather nondescript, which was fine by me. The only thing of note was me getting a shower curtain liner; really. It was needed as the one I had became pretty gross. Yesterday, several pro wrestlers passing away was definitely sad for me, as a pro wrestling fan. When I return next Monday, hopefully there aren't as many sad moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment