Monday, July 16, 2018

Skyscraper, Reunion Wrestling Shows & A Special Celebrity Encounter

This weekend I had, it really was one for the ages, even if it did not turn out quite as expected. Monday night, I went to Disney Springs as I hadn't been there in awhile. I walked around to see what was new, and it was largely the same as usual. I did go into the section of the remodeled World of Disney that is open, and it definitely is different from the old store. I also had a drink in a new restaurant/bar known as Enzo's Hideaway. It is modeled after a speakeasy and as you'd expect for Disney, the theming was done quite well; it was nice to visit once. Tuesday, the only thing I did was literally Wednesday morning... I had to make another airport run! I dropped off someone in Sanford and that went fine. Thursday, I went and saw Skyscraper; from the trailers I suspected the movie would be highly silly but hopefully at least provide enough entertainment. Well, it is highly silly and thankfully I was entertained. Friday I did nothing and that is OK because of all I would be doing during the weekend.
Saturday was my attending of a wrestling show; that is extremely rare in recent years. It was a reunion show of IPW, an old promotion which used to run years ago and was pretty wild; this event managed to be a fun show and the crowd was happy. Several of the wrestlers came out of retirement to compete at this event. I got to see plenty of people I hadn't interacted in person with in a number of years... it was from a few years to a very long time. I was glad I went to this show... even if it was held outdoors in a grass field outside of a bar. Not only was it in the 80's (yes, at night) but the humidity was like 95 percent. Everyone was bothered by the heat, including myself.
As enjoyable as Saturday was, for about a week and a half I had yesterday as a day which would be incredible. You see, randomly one night I looked at the website of a comic-con convention which would be held this past weekend. I looked at the guest list and when I saw Rachael Leigh Cook... the event became a must-attend for me. I'll just say she is someone who I think very highly of, both in terms of appearance and from me hearing that she is a very nice person. I've seen a number of her movies over the years; I realize I better explain to a lot of people how she hasn't received much media attention over the years because she did a lot of small independent movies and various TV shows; she is a mom to two young kids.
Anyhow, it was a typical con and had the typical items you'd expect there, although it was not as large as the Megacon I've talked about before. One thing I'll never forget is seeing a large MAN dressed as Snow White. As for me meeting Rachael, I'd like to say that things went exactly as I imagine it would, but... it's all on me. I'll just say I was full of anxiety and I have to be honest here even if won't paint me in the best light. There was a professional photo op involving her and that was another obvious thing I had to do. That happened and it was a very quick deal. She decided to do a pose w/ me where she put her arm on my shoulder, and I responded by putting my arm around her. The photo turned out well (it's now posted on social media) but a few minutes later, I wondered... oh shoot, should I have asked her first if it was OK for me to touch her. If I made her feel uncomfortable... I definitely wanted to briefly chat with her at her autograph table anyhow, but that was what the conversation was centered around.
I can say: she definitely is a nice, kind person and considering how in the past year or so there have been plenty of people in Hollywood who have proven to be rather lousy human beings-I was happy to talk to someone not like that. I won't go into specifics but everything turned out fine. I am not sure if she could make heads or tails of someone like me but no matter, I was very happy to have the opportunity to meet Rachael; she is more than just a (very) pretty face. This was a big deal for me so I cannot complain about what happened. Oh, and I did have a photo signed by her also. Someone I knew personally was at this con and I feel like a heel for not sticking around a few hours to see an event he invited me to... I was quite tired from the events of this weekend so I left and did some other things. The one I'll mention specifically is me going to an AMC Theatres I hadn't been to before; I won't go there again between a bad experience with their staff and a real bad audience experience... and this happened with a random French film (The Night Eats the World) which was actually fine; the movie was a different look at a zombie apocalypse as a random dude is followed and he is alone in an apartment complex and he thinks no one else is alive in Paris. I may have reacted differently if I hadn't had a day like Sunday already... I left immediately after the screening and went home.
It was a long day with some bad traffic (including someone in the other direction on a two lane road turning left right in front of me, necessitating me stomping on the brakes hard to avoid a nasty crash) and not everything went as I thought it would in my head... I can't complain as I was very happy meeting someone I never thought I would get to see in person and really, my having a weekend like this probably will never happen again. No way will the upcoming week be as eventful but I'll find something to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment