Monday, February 29, 2016

Mason Storm, Wahlburgers, The Witch & A Movie Marathon

Here's a recap of what I've done since this past Monday. That Monday the 22nd was my 35th birthday. Me being that age seems impossible. To demonstrate how old I am, the only thing I did of note was have two beers in the evening (one of them being AC/DC beer! It was fine) and I had dinner with someone at a Beef O'Brady's, mainly because a few days beforehand I randomly found a coupon for that establishment. They always make decent meals and that was still the case here. Thankfully me and that other person both enjoyed our food this time. Tuesday I did not do anything but Wednesday, I ended up at a Target; I decided to purchase some Kodiak Cakes products as I had run out and I rate them pretty highly. What I got was only the Kodiak Cakes box that contained the mix and not those microwaveable little cups of Kodiak Cakes; they were all out of those, and I presume it's because people are starting to find out they're great.

Thursday I did not do anything, but Friday was definitely more interesting. First, earlier in the month the Wahlburgers chain of restaurants opened a location in downtown Orlando. Yes, I haven't been in downtown Orlando in like a few years now, or at least it seems like that is the case. I just haven't felt like doing that scene of going out and witnessing wacky events. Next month, I am thinking that I should make my grand return. I did not have the time to walk around during the daytime, which is when I was there on Friday. I parked in the parking garage I typically parked at “back in the day” and I decided to be in and out in an hour so I did not have to pay a few extra bucks. That Wahlburgers location was right by the grand old lady known as Mako's, which closed down a few years ago and replaced by a new establishment... which I saw was defunct as that place certainly appeared to be vacant. Man, did I ever have some good times there, and I provided plenty of colorful stories. Anyhow, Wahlburgers was actually good. It's not just a gimmick restaurant from Marky Mark and his brothers; I know it's one of those phony reality shows (meaning, all reality shows are phony and scripted) which I haven't seen, so I wasn't sure what to expect from there. Thankfully they make good food.

A little later, I returned to Disney Springs and for the first time ever I tried out the Dine-In Theatres at the AMC Theatres there. It has been opened for a few years now and yet I haven't felt like trying it until this night. I saw the movie The Witch; I heard about it on a forum last year, when it played several festivals. For reasons unknown to me it did not get a wide release until the 19th of this month. It's not a horror film for everyone, as it's more thought-provoking and unsettling throughout than a gory spectacle or something filled with jump scares. No surprise that the general public is mixed on it, although horror fans online are more accepting of it. It's about a family in 1630 New England who are out on their own in the woods and some odd things happen... yes there is a witch and I'll leave it at that. I thought it was great; it was done perfectly and it is extremely creepy and unnerving. As for the Dine-In gimmick, the food selection was modest and what I had tasted fine. I am sure I'll go to it again, although it'll be awhile before I do so.

I returned to Disney Springs Saturday morning; I normally wouldn't be there at such an hour but I did something that I first did 2 years ago but didn't do last year. For awhile now AMC Theatres locations across the country have shown in marathons over two Saturdays the Best Picture Oscar nominees. In '14 I was able to see Nebraska, Captain Phillips, Her, American Hustle, and Gravity (for a second time) in a row in front of a good-sized crowd. That was a LONG day but an entertaining one nonetheless. Saturday, I saw Brooklyn, Spotlight, The Martian and The Revenant in a row. Yep, another long but entertaining day. In '14 it began at noon and for the past 2 years it was at 10 AM. The two times I have been there in my life, the crowds were healthy; My thoughts on the movies:

Brooklyn: For a sappy movie that has some tearjerking moments and does not have the most original romantic plot... I thought it was great. No, I did not swoon over Saoirse Ronan, although I think she is very pretty. She was tremendous in the role and I now am ashamed I have not watched any of her other films; I'll fix that in the future as I am sure I'll enjoy those performances also. Anyhow, the 

Spotlight: It won't be my favorite or what I consider the “best” movie of 2015, but I won't complain that this won Best Picture at the Oscars last night, as it was another great film. A matter of fact recap of how the Boston Globe first investigated the horrifying cover-up of all those people in the Catholic clergy in Boston & the surrounding area... that style was perfect for me and considering the revolting nature of what happened, doing it like that was the best and least-offensive way anyhow. It had tremendous performances all around and behind the camera was just as good.

The Martian: It was a little far-fetched but it was still tremendously entertaining; the landscapes and score were pretty awesome.

The Revenant: It is not as polarizing as the director's last film (Birdman), but this is still pretty darn polarizing. It was the same with the audience I saw it with; this did not get as much applause at the end as the first three motion pictures. Me... it was fine. I can't fault the performances, the score, cinematography or the absolutely breath-taking scenery (for that reason I am glad I saw it on the big screen); the story and how it was done, I have issues with. I heard people say that it reveled in misery and I happen to agree. Also, it felt even longer than its 155 minute runtime. But hey, your mileage my vary. I have seen people outright hate the movie, and at least I can note the positives. Leo DiCaprio winning was nice, at least.

Sunday, I did not pay too much attention to the Oscars. Sly not winning for Best Supporting Actor was unfortunate. Plus, I did not see the first two hours anyhow as I had to pick up someone from the Orlando-Sanford Airport. Once I got back I did not pay my full attention to it. Before I left, I joked online that I was like Mason Storm in thinking, “C'mon guys, I'm missing the Oscars!” Yes, I am quoting a Steven Seagal character! The trip there and back was uneventful; I stopped in a Walmart on the way there and got nothing of note.

When I return a week from today, I know it won't be as eventful a week as the one I just had.

No comments:

Post a Comment