Monday, February 8, 2016

Steve 'N' Seagulls, Dicaprio Bootle & Giving Up On Pro Football?

Dicaprio Bootle is the actual name of a college football prospect who signed to play with Nebraska last week. His name is so wacky I had to mention it. Late Saturday night on YouTube I stumbled upon something odd: a Finnish bluegrass band who do covers of hard rock/heavy metal songs (I am talking about such things as The Trooper and Thunderstruck) and they're called Steve 'N' Seagulls, which is an incredible name. I am weird so it was no surprise that I was greatly amused by it all. They have some videos on YouTube and an album on Spotify.

Here's a recap of what I've done in the past week. Monday, I did try that Three Stooges Wise Guys root beer. It was... fine. It was not spectacular but it was not bad. Tuesday, it was a return to the dentist; I had a temporary crown on, and a permanent one was put on. The worst part of that whole process is the price; I wasn't blessed with the best body so it wasn't my first rodeo when it comes to such things. Thursday wasn't the most exciting of days for me, so onto Friday through Sunday.

Friday, I was in Orlando; the only thing I'll mention is that I went and ate at the Lime Fresh Mexican Grill, as I hadn't eaten there since late October. They make good food so I am happy to frequent there. Saturday, I thought about going out and about but two things hampered that idea: I ate something that didn't agree with me during lunch and because of that I did not feel like going far. Then, it ended up being rainy weather for much of the day and night. I did not feel like walking around in 50 degree weather when it's rainy, so I was happy to stay in except to go into town and get a few miscellaneous items at a Walgreens. I only barely paid attention to the UFC show on TV; instead, I saw a rare appearance of Illinois State University basketball on national TV, where they hosted Wichita State... and actually won, which was an upset.

Sunday, that was the day of the Super Bowl. My “meh” opinion on football is still in effect; out of force of habit I watched it. Unlike what I've done in recent years, I decided to stay home instead of going out to see it among the humanoids. I'll never forget last year's SB at Buffalo Wild Wings, where a Rhodes Scholar ordered a pretzel and he did not realize that it'd be a hot pretzel so he dropped it on the ground; I still can't explain why he'd think it'd be cold. Not being around people like that or yelling drama queens or rude A-holes is fine with me.

As for the game... before I get to that, the ads were the typical for the big game, meaning “most of them weren't good”, despite what many people may say. I think that most of them try WAY too hard to be “cool” and I am just not down with that. Lady Gaga did a fine job with the National Anthem. Considering that some of her songs are fine, I wish that she wouldn't do that tired attention-seeking act, as it distracts from her talent. The halftime show had nice production and certainly was colorful; it's just that Coldplay's music just about put me to sleep. Bruno Mars at least added energy. Beyonce... as terrible as usual. So that halftime show was pretty bad. At least last year's Katy Perry thing was so goofy with the sharks and her dressing like Bam Bam Bigelow, it gave me some laughs.

The game itself, I wanted to turn it off after you had yet another case of a controversial call over what is actually a catch in the NFL. The fact that it's been an issue for a few years now and has changed the outcome of more than a few games and yet they haven't fixed that or fixed all the other problems they have... I may feel different come September but right now, I don't feel like watching the NFL anymore (even the Chicago Bears) and giving up on the sport for good may be best so that I don't have to put up on a garbage organization that craps on their fans and I don't have to waste time watching a substandard product. Honestly, after that I mentally checked out of the game and did not pay full attention to it. The fact that the field was not in good condition didn't brighten my mood either. The final score was Denver 24, Carolina 10. Congrats to the Broncos.

When I return a week from today, I hope to be in a more chipper mood, first off. I do not have a lot planned... yet. Hopefully nothing irritates me.

No comments:

Post a Comment