Monday, February 22, 2016

The One Time I Realized That Gluten Is Pretty Awesome

Yes, today is my birthday. I am now 35 years old and that seems inconceivable to me. I don't have much else to say about it besides that. Next Monday I'll talk about this day in full, although it won't be much more than talk about which restaurant I go to for dinner.

Last Monday I did not do anything, which was fine by me. Tuesday was more interesting. I figured I should start using my annual Disney Pass more often, so I went to the Animal Kingdom for a few hours. I walked around, ate some food & drink (I am glad that there are more food & drink stands), noted the construction going on, and saw some animals. For the first time I saw the gorillas get fed, which was interesting. It involved the jingling of sleigh bells to get their attention (honest) and being tossed apples. Speaking of food, one of the new food & drink stands is one that offers gluten-free products. I think that a lot of it is poppycock, and I doubt there's as many people with celiac disease as has suddenly popped up in recent years. Well, I had a pair of donuts (along with Redbridge beer, which was alright) and man, it showed me that gluten is pretty awesome, as that would have made those donuts a lot better.

Also, for the first time I went into a Starbucks to order something. I don't drink coffee and I never felt like going into one of the approximately two million locations across the country to see what else they offered. But finally I decided I should try it out so I went into the one they have at Animal Kingdom and I “got my white girl on”. I did not wear yoga pants or send out a Snapchat or an Instagram selfie with what I ordered. I got a smoothie (which was fine) and yes, a gluten-free ripoff of a big Rice Krispies square (actually a rectangle), and it actually was tasty. Still, I say that my opinion of gluten hasn't changed.

Wednesday, I was out on the road; it was bad traffic and all. I had to get gas and I got closer to running out of gas than I probably should have but I ended up filling up at a Sunoco station. I went in and saw that not only did did they have cans of Surge (which of course I had to get) but something new to me, which was Jolly Rancher soda. It  was known as Tropical Tremor and it was fine. Thursday I didn't do anything but Friday, I ended up in Sanford and I ended up at the Seminole Town Center Mall as I hadn't been there in months. Some things are different but for the most part it's the same old mall. On the way back home I tried taking a different route as I heard there was a new shortcut; well, it was not fully open so as someone who does not have a GPS of any kind, I had to guess where I should go in an unfamiliar area. I was relatively lucky in what I guessed so I did not get hopelessly lost. Still, I wasn't happy about that and wished that there had been more street signs but as it's Florida, no surprise that was not the case. I mean, this is the state where recently on a rural road that's a shortcut for me and many others (I use it when I go down to the Walt Disney World area) they put up a number of speed bumps. There's not too many houses on that stretch of road so honestly, my explanation for that is “they don't want people to use the road anymore, so speed bumps will lead to a decrease in its usage.” I am positive that's the case. I dislike speed bumps as much as the next guy but I'll still use that road as due to sheer convenience.

My weekend was boring; I stayed in and did various things at home. I was OK with that. When I return on Leap Day next Monday, I will have a few things to talk about, including a very long Saturday I plan on experiencing.

No comments:

Post a Comment