Monday, December 29, 2014

The Blog Where I Recap My Kansas Vacation

For the holiday season my parents and I got out from Florida and like last year did something different by visiting family in Kansas and doing so via a roadtrip. 

Like last year my parents and I drove out from Florida to Kansas-to haul presents, you see-and visited one of my two sisters, her husband and twin nephews, who are now 2 years old. This time my other sister was also there. The drive on this day was from Florida to Conway, Arkansas, a little bit northwest of Little Rock. The traffic was pretty brutal there and there was a lot of rainy weather. Turns out that it's not just Florida drivers who become real stupid when there's “sky water” on the road. I don't mean to stereotype here but we stopped for lunch at a fast food joint in a random southern Mississippi town known as Wiggins and well, the customers there could safely be classified as “white trash”. Yes, I did go through the area which 24 hours later was hit by a tornado. For dinner we ate at a McAlister's Deli, a place I hadn't been to before; their food is more than halfway decent.

Tuesday, the drive was made from Arkansas to Park City, Kansas, just north of Wichita. I won't say much about my time at my sister's house (she may prefer it that way) but it was great to finally see my nephews again. They just turned two and they provide plenty of entertainment and except for naps they also provide a lot of commotion. They are pretty perceptive and usually they do get along with each other. From Tuesday to Friday not too much happened that I'll recap here, except that the twins did enjoy all the Christmas/birthday presents they received. The Christmas meal of ham was also pretty nice. Friday night we ate by Wichita's airport in a joint known as Hangar One Steakhouse. There is an aviation theme and the young boys loved that as they love airplanes. As for the food, it seemed to be either undercooked or overcooked; if it wasn't for that... I'd give the place nice reviews.

As nice as it was to hang out with family and all that, I started to feel rather terrible on Friday, and the feelings didn't really go away until today. So, even though I won't get to see all those family members for at least another year I still had the itch to return home. Like the last time the drive back was made all in one day; it wasn't my decision to do that! The “highlights” of that never-ending day:

Some A-hole in Arkansas changing lanes and almost crashing into the car; not even honking the horn stopped the lane change. I certainly saw bad driving during the vacation; nothing like what I deal with on a daily basis in Florida, though.

The way back was different. We went through the southern part of Memphis. There was a light that had turned red and someone was obviously not paying attention (they were probably on their damn phone) so on wet roads-yes, more rain-they slammed on their brakes and thankfully instead of wrecking multiple vehicles he veered right and crashed into a curb.

Like last December we ate at a Hardee's in the middle of nowhere Alabama, this time in Luverne.

Despite being too amped up from arriving home and only getting a few hours of sleep, I did go out and about on Sunday, which wasn't the wisest decision; there's still holiday traffic and plenty of rude behavior. I wasn't in the mood for it so I made it known what I thought of their atrocious driving. I did not go out to see the final game of this season for the Chicago Bears. I figured they would lose... and I was right. No surprise then that after a 5-11 season their coach got fired today. As said before no way should they have been that bad. Anyhow, what I did was visit a few stores on the east side of Orlando and I also filled up the gas tank as I found some stations selling it for pretty cheap.

When I return next Monday to type up my first post of 2015, I have a few ideas as to what I'll be talking about. I won't be doing anything exciting for New Years Eve, but I rarely do anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment