Monday, September 29, 2014

The Outback Steakhouse, Sham Colleges & Bumpus Jones

Monday the 22nd, I went to the local library to drop off the DVD's I had and I got some more. It was a rainy day; then again it's been a rainy summer, which is fine with me. Also on this day I realized that the woman from Florida who allegedly had surgery to have 3 boobs (which was later proven to be false; it was just a 3 boob prosthesis; I didn't know such a thing even existed outside of the film Total Recall), well, TWO people I know have talked to her in the past. Honest. Also, I should have mentioned this before but during the big NFL game with the Seahawks and Broncos, I actually recognized someone in a crowd shot. They were in Seattle at the time and were at the game. I was not expecting to see someone I know on national television.

Onto more normal conversation, the Bears defeated the New York Jets on Monday night. It was another game that was hard to watch, but at least this game I was able to see it in full without turning it off in disgust. They were certainly helped out by how poorly the Jets played, that is for sure.

Tuesday I didn't do a thing on a day that was real ugly and rain-filled. I was happy to stay in. Wednesday, I went with someone to a restaurant and this experience was better than the last time I sat down at a restaurant. We decided to go to the Outback Steakhouse as there's one right in town and it's easy to get to. The food tasted fine and many on the staff actually were fast and didn't sit there with their thumbs up one of their orifices, so that was nice.

Thursday, I went to Walmart to pick up a few items and while some of the people there fit into the expected Walmart stereotypes, at least my time there was uneventful. Friday, I went to Wawa to get a sandwich for dinner and that was as exciting as the day got. Late at night I did see the big Grand Final (i.e. championship game) in the Australian Football League; yes I still do watch Australian Rules Football. I also saw the Grand Final last year, which was competitive; the game this year was as much a blowout as February's Super Bowl; Hawthorn kicked Sydney's ass. Still, it was nice to see that game live.

Saturday, I thought of attending a football game between two upstart college football teams, the University of the Southeast and the University of Faith. But, while the former has been a school for decades now and just started a team this fall, the latter and its sister school the College of Faith has gathered so much notoriety that there's a popular thread about them on Reddit. Neither school is accredited and I understand they're online schools and they are highly sketchy at best with players and coaches that aren't so good-to be kind-so it's no surprise these guys get blown out in games and yet somehow they count as official games. I decided not to go after all as it was likely there'd be rain AND thunderstorms during the game and the night before there was actually flooding in the area; avoiding that seemed like a wise idea. The University of Faith lost 55-15, by the way. Instead I just stayed at home.

Sunday, I returned to the restaurant known as Twin Peaks in order to see the Chicago Bears play against their hated rivals, the Green Bay Packers. Chicago got their ass kicked. I know that they were awful to both teams and Green Bay would have won anyhow but Holy Cripes were the officials in that game atrocious. This does not improve my now dim view of the NFL. At least my time at the restaurant was fine overall. But, driving there and back was especially bad due to all the awful traffic. My mood was brightened last night when I heard that there was once a baseball player in the late 19th century who called himself Bumpus Jones. What an incredible name.

When I return a week from today, I do have several ideas in mind for what I will be doing. If the weather is better than it was the past 7 days, my plans should go swimmingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment