Monday, September 22, 2014

The Blog Where I Announce That I Am Against Misogyny

I thought that I wouldn't have much to write about this week as it was another quiet one for me. Then, someone I know on Facebook did something dumb, and I got mad. I'll explain all that a little later.

Monday the 15th, I went out with someone to dinner. Inspired by the new ads they are running with their crosscut ribs, we decided to go to Applebee's; the neither of us had been there in a long while. It will be a long while before we return, especially to that location (the one in Kissimmee by 429). The food tasted fine; unfortunately, the service was pretty horrible and even though it was not busy there, it still took a long time before we got our meal. We were not happy about this. There are other Applebee's in the area but after the experience I don't feel like going to any of them.

I didn't do anything on Tuesday but Wednesday I did a nerdy thing: I won't get into why but it had actually been a few years since I had gone to the local library. I have no idea where my library card is but they have new ones anyway so that's what I got then I rented some DVD's of old films. Like before I'll be doing more of that than actually borrowing books.

Thursday, I drove to the Big Lots that was by the Florida Mall and I got some miscellaneous items. Then I went to the Florida Mall itself and besides walking around, I had dinner there via Five Guys. I am thankful that they have an option where you don't get an obscene amount of French fries. It was a rainy day and the last two times I've been there it was just pouring while I was in that mall. At least this time it stopped by the time I left.

The rest of the week for me was looking to be rather dull. Then, Friday night happened... I saw something gross posted on Facebook. It was someone from the local wrestling world and I'll leave it at that. I will not go into detail on what the photo is, but it was something that made light of the frightening reality of women being killed by the men they are in a relationship with, and actually said that it was because the women “wouldn't shut up”. Honest. Really, is it something that should be posted at anytime, but especially during a month where in the sports world domestic violence is SUCH a huge deal? No! 

That's pretty disgusting, to be honest... but not as gross as the number of people who actually liked the picture. Now, I am not against off-color or politically incorrect material, including humor. There have been many other times during the years where I saw something stupid on my timeline while I was on Facebook. But this is pretty nauseating all around. 

I made mention of it on Twitter and my own Facebook page and I made it clear how I thought it was distasteful. If you're wondering why I didn't comment on that guy's photo and say how much I disagreed with it, he and someone else made it clear that all the people who were offended were “tards”, “pussies” and “bitches”. I am shocked the word “fags” wasn't also thrown in. Clearly, I didn't even bother if there wasn't going to be any sort of INTELLIGENT conversation and instead there'd be fools resorting to cheap homophobic insults. It's still quite disappointing to see many people actually support the idea or think that in any way it was “funny”. At least you can rest assured that I would never do such ignorant things. I know this opinion won't be popular; I am OK with that.

But anyhow... Saturday and Sunday I did not do a thing and I was perfectly content with that. For reasons not completely known to me I haven't been getting the best night's sleep during this past week so staying at home was fine with me. At least when I return a week from today I'll have more to talk about. There would have been 2 Chicago Bears games played, hopefully officiated well-enough to where I'll actually be able to tolerate watching them, and I have other things in mind. If there isn't any drama due to awful photos being posted, that would be nice too.

No comments:

Post a Comment