Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Tales Of The Korean Giant & Flea World

Unfortunately, this is yet ANOTHER blog where I have to talk about something pretty sad, in that someone I knew passed away. Here are the circumstances this time around. Saturday in the afternoon, I heard that there was some sort of accident at a local attraction on I-Drive. It’s one of those rides where you ride high up in the air in a seated position. He was working on it while it was shut down and something happened, and boom, he died. Well, the guy happened to be a local independent wrestler, so I got to see him wrestle who knows how many times since 2004. His real name was Justin Honeycutt and his wrestling name was Ryze, and he was commonly known as The Korean Giant, as hey, he was a tall and big Korean guy. I never really talked to him but I never had a problem with him either. Many people I know on Facebook were pretty close to him and you can imagine what their reaction was. It makes me sad that this sort of thing has happened a few times away and now I wonder, who’s next? On a lighter note…

Monday the 27th, the only thing I did on that rainy day was go to Wal-Mart to look for something and then I went to the nearby barber shop to get a trim. At Wally World, there was not only the usual idiocy involving shopping carts (which happens everywhere in Florida) but also the usual idiocy involving people not having their lights on when it’s raining and not using turn signals at all (ditto). I wasn’t happy about that. Then, at the barber shop, instead of the usual ESPN fair when I’m there, the ladies who were there-none of whom I recognized-had on the trial of that child killer. Again, I have no idea why people have fascination with that garbage. Hopefully it’ll be over soon and the local media down here in central Florida will stop slobbering over it. At least my haircut was fine.

As for the rest of the week up to Friday, I was on the down low as I had other things to worry about. It’s personal stuff, you know. It’s on a “need to know” basis. I’ll just say it was stuff I needed to concentrate on. Friday, I had to go to Orlando to do something, and well… I failed. I needed to hit it out of the ballpark but it wasn’t even a home run. Sigh. I won’t go into the details; I’m fine now, though. I’ll do better the next time, I am sure of it. I can say that on the way there and back there was the expected Florida traffic, especially when it rained. It’s like clockwork, when there’s moisture on the ground, then there’s real trouble; to my complete non-shock, on the way to my destination, I saw the aftermath of a crash, with the front end of one vehicle mashed in pretty good. It wasn’t like the one time I was driving in the property of Walt Disney World earlier in the year and saw a vehicle on its roof (!), but still more than just a fender-bender. At least on this evening I had dinner with two people I knew, as one of them had their birthday on this day. They decided to go to the Uno’s in Winter Garden. It was their choice, and I was fine with it.

Speaking of cars, here’s something I wanted to mention in the last blog I did but for whatever reasons I neglected to. When I was at the Twisted Burger near Dr. Phillips having dinner the week prior, not too surprisingly I saw some nice vehicles around. You know, BMW’s and Mercedes; that isn’t too rare for this area at all. However, what is rare for me is seeing a Ferrari out in the wild. But, while I was there I saw a black Ferrari 599 in the parking lot and I parked right by it. I stared at that vehicle while eating my dinner. Soon before I got done, I saw some middle-aged dude with a goatee get in it and drive away. I was almost expecting some sort of local celebrity (such as, you know, a basketball player for the Magic or Tiger Woods) hop into the vehicle but instead it was a random dude. Anyhow, it’s a very nice vehicle (they’ve been making the 599 for the past few years now) and I was happy to see one in person.

So, Saturday made up for a boring last week of June. On that day I went for the second time to the massive Sanford Flea World to walk around and pick up some items there, and in the evening I went to the local Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the latest UFC pay per view. The night ended up leaving me feeling pretty sad, though. My drive to and from the Flea World got me pretty fired up, as I had to deal with the usual idiocy with Florida traffic. I won’t rant about it, as I’ve talk about how awful traffic is for years now. While I was there, I saw that yeah, most of the people who attend Flea World are rather trashy in nature. I at least picked up some random games and some DVD’s. I then stopped at a Firehouse Subs in nearby Lake Mary to have dinner and enjoy their Coca-Cola Freestyle machine. While I was eating dinner I saw that-ironically-some fire trucks and some cops pulled up to the nearby intersection. Once I left there and passed it, I saw that there was a fender-bender. They happen all the time around here, believe me.

While I was at the Firehouse Subs eating dinner, one of their TV’s was on a local news station and I saw a blurb about someone passing away due to an accident at a local attraction on I-Drive. I saw it but thought nothing of it. In hindsight…

I got back home from the UFC event and got on Facebook. I saw that some of my friends changed their FB pictures to someone I recognized, and that’s when I found out that the individual known as Ryze had passed away. What a downer. The show itself (at least if you ignore the fights they had on Facebook) was pretty good stuff. It exceeded expectations. What I didn’t do was watch any of the big boxing fight on the same day with those heavyweight fighters. It was heavily hyped and those fighters were pretty amusing talking trash to each other, but besides the big spectacle of it being in a big soccer stadium in Germany (and some wacky as hell entrances, which at least I did watch on YouTube after the fact), everyone-even boxing fights-said that the fight was God-awful, and given that I don’t like boxing to begin with… the UFC show in question must have been a million times better than that fight. Heck, both fighters were such drama queens that they took forever to even get into the ring, and the crowd hated the both of them before the fight even started. I’m actually starting to feel a little sorry for boxing fans for how awful, laughable, and just corrupt that sport is.

My Sunday and Monday, though… dull. Yeah, I was lazy on the 4th and didn’t go anywhere to see any fireworks. Then again, last night I was able to see fireworks off in the distance (possibly the ones from Walt Disney World, believe it or not) from where I live… along with fireworks that people were shooting off closer to home, so at least there was that.

My next blog will be posted in the afternoon of Monday, July 11th; at least between now and then I have a few things in mind as to what I will be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment