Monday, July 25, 2011

I Like My Beats Fast And My Bass Down Low

I am quoting the main lyric to an electro-hop (that is, a combination of electro music and hip-hop) song called Bass Down Low, by Dev and Cataracts. As a song with a lot of bass in it, it’s perfect for a location like Mako’s, and indeed I’ve heard it there my last few visits. Now, I think I’ve mentioned everything I wanted to from that R-rated night there on the 16th… except for one thing. They had a special deal where Corona’s were 3 dollars, which is cheaper than usual. I had it for something different from the Michelob Ultra usual-which at least is a tolerable beer to drink-and while I knew this before, this night proved to me that whether or not it includes lime, and whether or not it is regular Corona or Corona Light, that beer is not good! Sure, I guess it isn’t too bad if I was able to have it and not switch to something better, but it still is not one of my first choices for beer.

My Sunday and Monday were not eventful, so I’ll mention what I did on Tuesday. In the evening I went to the Florida Mall to look for some items. It was mundane there but at least it was nice as something different to do. Wednesday, I went and met up with someone I knew and we went to the Rainforest CafĂ© at Downtown Disney. Now, I’ve eaten in the bar area a few times, but it’s been many years since I sat in the regular dining area of that restaurant. The ambiance is cool and the burger and chips meal I had was pretty good; it better be, for the price. It was also neat getting to sit by a big fish tank the entire time and look at all the colorful critters swimming about.

I’ll take this time to mention an awesome service I discovered via podcast listen Wednesday night. It’s called Turntable.fm. Here’s how it works: If you know someone on Facebook who already has it, you're good to go and you can sign up, no problems. If not, then you'll have to apply for an invite.

Once you're in, you can visit a number of rooms with various musical themes, just as 80's, classic rock, many different genres of dance (the most popular rooms, from what I can see), and what have you. You're an animated figure and you appear on a dance floor, with 5 DJ's on a stage. They pick the song to play, all in order. The smaller the number of people in the room, the more likely you're able to be picked to get on stage to pick the songs once a DJ decides to get off stage. There's also a chat box where people can talk about the songs or even better, decide on a theme for the DJ's to follow for awhile, such as picking artists A-Z in order, or songs with "gypsy" in the title (as I was a part of my first night there).

Speaking of greatness, Thursday night I finally got an invite for Spotify, a streaming music player from Europe that you can pay for but even for free it has a tremendous selection of songs that you can stream as much as you want to for no cost (at least for the time being; it’ll probably change sooner or later). It finally arrived in the U.S. earlier this month and I think it’s neat. I mean, Turntable AND Spotify is = crack cocaine for me.

Thursday was nothing-happening so I’ll mention that on Friday… I didn’t do anything either. The weather was crappy for much of the day, and I must have eaten some bad food on Thursday, as during the late night… I wasn’t 100% and I’ll leave it at that.

Now, the weekend, it was a different story. First, the whole Amy Winehouse thing… I was never a fan of hers; you’d think that I’d enjoy the type of music she did, but no dice there. I never understood all the praise she got. That’s not even getting into her repellant persona or how she just looked nasty and was nasty in real life. But as I always say, I do realize that it sucks for her family and friends; if only someone could have helped her. I’ll leave it at that.

As for what I did on Saturday, in the afternoon I went and picked up some DVD’s for rental for someone I know. On the way there, I was on a side street and as I came upon Highway 27, I saw that the lights were out and the 27 lights were flashing yellow and the street I was on were flashing red. Of course, I knew the difference between the two, and it turns out I was a rare breed amongst the other vehicles at that intersection. What a clusterf***! I saw several near-accidents happen as people had no clue how to handle the situation. Typical Florida drivers!

Then, in the evening I went and saw something live for the first time: an arena football game. I figured it was about darn time I do so. It’s ironic given that the first time they ever tried out the game in public (back in ’86) the game was held in… Rockford, i.e. the town I was born in and lived by as a kid. True story. The game I saw on this night was the New Orleans VooDoo (that’s how they spell it) at the Orlando Predators, at the lovely Amway Center. I say that the building is as much of an attraction as the events they have there. It beats that old dump the Amway Arena.

As for the whole experience, it tries to be “hip” and “cool” by being “in your face”. You know, there was an introduction involving Harley Davidson’s, there’s loud music almost throughout, there’s a dipshit announcer who yells almost all the time and I don’t know if that sort of thing is something I care for. I could have gone without having to deal with Troglodytes by me, and I swear, the refs were biased like pro wrestling officials in that they tried their damndest to make the score close; Orlando ended up winning 62-44.

That said, it was still an entertaining-enough time and I’m glad I went to one of those games; who knows when I’ll go to another one, though. There’s definitely a lot of action at those games so I was satisfied there. Besides, with the atmosphere, it pretty much encourages drinking. I didn’t do that until after the game, but the funniest moment of the night came here and not at Mako’s. It was halftime and I was walking around the concourse, stretching my legs out. Suddenly, a group of people walked by me and a wasted chick asked me for a high five. I agreed, then she drunkenly slurred, “F****** Harry Potter glasses rule!” Funny, I never knew I had “F****** Harry Potter glasses”.

After the game, I had to go to Mako’s, as hey it’s real close by the arena. Who knows when my next time there will be. It may be a few months. It wasn’t as eventful as my time there the previous Saturday, but it’s sort of hard to compete with a night where you see a couple performing sex acts out in the open. I saw some passionate kissing and grab-assing on this night, and that was as hot and steamy as it got.

There isn’t too much to say about the night as a whole, although I did have a good time there. It was a lot of the usual there, and that almost always means a good time will be had by me with all the craziness there. There was only one noteworthy thing, but what a thing it is. At the game I saw a guy wearing a banana suit. Why, I don’t know. Well, he ended up at the club too, and he got a lot of attention. That also inspired an employee to go into the back and put on a gorilla suit! Those two started play-fighting with each other and for a moment there I thought I had some sort of hallucinogenic slipped into my drink.

So, as I did Jack on Sunday, I’ll tell you now that I should be back on the 1st of August; nothing’s on the agenda for the last week of July, but I’m sure by the time I do my next post here on the 1st I'll have something to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment