Monday, June 20, 2011

The Scorpions Make It Clear Where The Hammer Hangs

If you’re wondering where I came up with such a wacky title, it relates to something on Twitter. Friday night I saw a trending topic that said “Scorpios rule” (which makes me laugh given that I realize how fictitious horoscopes are) and I commented that I wished the trending topic was The Scorpions Rule, as I think they’re a cool German band. Well, some Twitter bot replied and in German provided a link to a German article about a recent show they did. Google translated that page into English, and as always it’s not quite right so you end up with some hilarious phrases, including the idea that they know where the hammer hangs and even better, “Tight leather pants, her long hair blowing in the wind, the guitars they stretch into the sky-this is from a classic hard rock show.” In the past I translated a German article about a Dolph Lundgren movie (of all things) and the phrase “unrelenting action hammer” came up. I need to read translated articles more often.

So, the only highlight of Monday was going to Denny’s. Laugh if you must, but at least I went there with someone I know, and the restaurant was only a few miles away from where I live. I hadn’t been there (or to any Denny’s) in a long while. It suddenly hit me like a lightning bolt that I should try them out again; I looked at their menu online and saw a wide variety of items. Sure, it’s more about variety and quantity rather than quality, but I might as well enjoy it with my pal. While we were there, that other person had a pancake-based meal and I had the Super Bird meal, which I remember having there before. It was fine-enough. However, their milkshake/orange juice combo that’s a limited time only thing… that was pretty sweet. It was like a creamsicle! That was a win right there. Sure, the service could have been faster/better and there were some annoying customers around, but the price was right and both me and the other person enjoyed the meals overall.

Tuesday, I ended up at Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World. Before that, I went to Pinkberry to try out their new watermelon flavor; it’s good stuff. Sometime soon I’ll have to try their other new flavor, salted caramel. After that, I went to Downtown Disney. BTW, on the way there and back, I had to deal with some traffic that really got my dander up. I mean, I was pretty mad. For the most part, it was the usual Florida stupidity. Anyhow, I walked around Downtown Disney for a bit before going into the AMC Theatres to watch a film. No, I haven’t tried out yet their new Fork & Screen gimmick they have that is one section of the 24 screen joint. It’s like the Enzian in that you order food and you get to eat it while watching the movie; you get to eat it on a table that is connected to your chair. I haven’t tried that out yet. Instead, I watched a special screening of the first Lord of the Rings movie. The next Tuesday you can watch the second one there, and the Tuesday after that, the third film. Believe it or not, I haven’t read those books or seen more than clips of all three movies before this day. No lie. I just never cared to read or watch anything from that franchise. But, when I found out this deal I decided to try it out. It’s the extended editions of all three movies, so that meant what I saw on Tuesday was the longest film I have ever seen on the big screen, at almost 3 ½ hours long.

My opinion… that franchise just isn’t for me. Sorry, but it’s true. It looked and sounded nice, but the plot and the story just wasn’t for me. Talk about overwrought, overlong, and confused. Maybe it makes more sense with the other two movies… I won’t be seeing them anytime soon. If nothing else, I can read about what happens in those two on Wikipedia! At least there I can save money and not have to worry about things like people walking into the auditorium late, walking in and out constantly, and other annoyances.

By the way, does it make me a horrible person that I have little sympathy for some guy from Jackass I had never heard of before dying in a car crash driving a fancy Porsche while likely speeding AND drunk? I never cared for that intelligence-insulting drivel and while I feel bad for his family and friends, I have little sympathy for the driver there. I mean, he also killed someone else and that alone is why I feel the way I do.

My Wednesday and Thursday were totally uneventful so I don’t need to get into what I did there. Instead, I’ll tell you that I’ll be back on Wednesday (it may not get posted until the evening, but stay tuned for that) to tell you what I did between the 17th and the 22nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment