Monday, May 30, 2011

LeBron James, Admiral Ackbar, & Nerdy Hillbillies

So, here’s what I’ve done since the last blog this past Monday. That day and Tuesday were rather dull so I’ll skip ahead to Wednesday the 25th. Me and someone I know went out to a local restaurant as a long drive just wasn’t in the cards. We went to Red Lobster, a restaurant I don’t usually frequent but in recent times I’ve realized that shrimp is fine-enough to eat so that was a good spot to go. There was also a 5 dollar giftcard that my pal had got… again, a good reason to go there. I had some sirloin and giant shrimp, along with a baked potato and French fries. I wanted the sirloin to be medium well and it turned out well done (if not more than that) and I wasn’t sure about the waiter, but the meat still tasted good (that’s what she said!) and the rest of the food also was more than edible, so I won’t complain. Plus, I got some leftovers for the next day.

My Thursday was not worth talking about, except for watching the Chicago Bulls basketball playoff game against the hated Miami Heat. I’ve never really cared for the team but I really disliked them after this past summer, when they got three “big names” to get together to try and win the big title as otherwise they could never grab the brass ring… ok, so one of them already got a ring, but he got help, via a big name and alleged poor officiating. As I’ve always enjoyed the Bulls from when I was a little Pac, I especially wanted them to win. Alas, they were too young, and the Heat ended up winning the series and they’ll go against the Mavericks in the finals. I’m definitely rooting for Dallas. It’s just that the game on this night was SO disappointing because Chicago was up by a big amount in the 4th quarter but they blew it. Sigh.

Friday, I went to Walt Disney World (heh heh heh) and Hollywood Studios in particular, as I wanted to try out the new Star Tours ride. I had been on the old one quite a few times, but it’s 2011, and that ride was designed 25 years old, and definitely showed its age the last few years there. The new ride is definitely a lot smoother; the old one was rather herky-jerky. It also happens to be the time of Star Wars weekend, where around this time every year, there are a few weekends devoted to that franchise and you see parades, autograph signings, and shocking to everyone I’m sure, an assload of merchandise being sold. In fact, I bought one myself; it was a big plastic cup with Darth Vader on it. Rather cool. Anyhow, the ride is a lot fancier, with it being in 3-D and the good idea of it having 54 possible storylines, as a few times throughout it, several different things can appear, so the first time I was on it, I went through the ice planet in the Hoth system before going through Coruscant (it’s set between Episodes 3 and 4), and the second time I went on I was in that overlong pod race from Episode 1 (although thankfully it was short here) and went through the Death Star, and the third was the same as the first except that I went through the Wookie (the way I choose to spell it) planet of Kashyyyk. Yep, I went on it three times. The lines the first two times weren’t too long at all, and the third I had a Fast Pass. I highly recommend the ride. You can see a variety of characters on it, from Vader to Princess Leia and Boba Fett even the cult favorite Admiral Ackbar, who never utters “It’s a trap!”, much to my disappointment.

As for the parade, I briefly watched it and I saw the likes of Jawa, the Ackbar again, stormtroopers walking about, and a little later I saw DANCING by Bith with some park guests. You know, those weird-looking aliens that played in the band in the Mos Eisley Cantina in Episode 4. But, maybe I should stop here as this has become a rather geeky blog, especially considering I knew most of the above Star Wars information without having to look it up. Hey, the original movies are awesome… the prequels, much less so.

As for the rest of the afternoon there, the crowd at the park was large and yet most of the attractions didn’t have too long of a wait, so I was able to experience many of the adventures at Hollywood Studios. I also had to deal with my fellow guests at the park, some of whom were as stupid as a Gungan. I want to be cheery here so I won’t be ranting and raving about those individuals.

Anyhow, Saturday was dull until the evening, when I went to the local Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the latest UFC pay per view. I wore that Armani Exchange shirt I mentioned in the last blog*. The show wasn’t the best at all when it came to “big names” but from what I heard the fights had the potential to deliver on an excitement level. I was hoping that this time around I wouldn’t see a multiple person brawl involving plain clothes policemen like I did after the last UFC pay per view I saw there late last month.

• Which I also wore on the 21st when I returned to Mako’s. Which reminds me, there’s a hilarious story from that night I’m just telling now. In short, I saw a young brunette lady milling about with her boyfriend and her pals. Things looked normal until I saw her smile… and she was missing one of her two front teeth! She’s not a 9 year old, so I don’t know why she doesn’t realize that you CAN get a crown put on that shit. She looked like a nerdy hillbilly to quote The Hangover… whose sequel I will see sooner rather than later.

It turns out, the show wasn’t all that great, IMO. Sure, there were some interesting and entertaining moments, but overall it sure as hell wasn’t like the event last month. The crowd was down from last month, too, and while there were no fights among the patrons, they didn’t react to much of anything on the show, and understandably so. There isn’t too much else to say, but I had some booze there and then I continued drinking at home, and that was a poor decision. Holy Cripes did I feel pretty bad until about late afternoon on Sunday. My stomach didn’t feel good at all and that’s all anyone needs to know.

So, I didn’t do anything on that day and that’s the same for today, Memorial Day. When I return a week from today, I have no idea what I’ll be posting. I’ll probably be seeing a movie or two but that’s really about it so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment