Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Melancholy Edition Of This Blog

So, I’m posting this earlier than I was planning, but it’s due to a sad reason. Yet again, someone I talked to in the world of wrestling has passed away. For the past few years now, whenever I saw Orlando-area wrestling fan (and behind the scenes guy, too) Mark Meister/Mr. Wrestling 19/Marcus Pitt at a show I would almost always at least briefly speak to him. He was a huge wrestling fan and loved to help out various wrestlers and other people connected with the local wrestling scene. He started up a wrestling site last year and if I hadn’t decided to stop writing about the Florida wrestling scene and heavily curtailed my attending or following shows and the scene, it’s likely I would have written for that site.

Anyhow, I knew that in the past he had his share of health problems, but it was just last month that I saw him at a wrestling show and he seemed fine. I briefly talked to him, and now I wish I would have had a longer conversation with him. It wasn’t until Thursday evening that I heard his health had taken a turn for the worse; I saw the news on Facebook via a friend’s post. I wrote a message on there to someone I know about the matter, and right after I sent it I found out he had passed away. I was shocked and I feel pretty sad about it. I know that there are a lot of people involved with the scene (from fans to wrestlers to anyone else) are quite upset about it too. Some people knew him really well, and I can only imagine what they or his family are going through right now. Of course, the Toadies in the past said some really awful things about him, but as I’ve said 100,000 times before, they’re awful human beings so that sort of repugnant behavior is almost expected from them by now. Anyhow, tonight I’ll be attending a wrestling show in Sanford that he likely would have been at. Now, it will be a night where they’ll pay tribute to him beforehand and I’m sure a lot of the wrestlers will dedicate their matches to the guy known as Mr. Wrestling 19.

RIP to Mark Meister and I send out my condolences to all of his family and friends.

That heartrending story aside, this week at least started off more interesting than last week for me. Sure, what I wrote about and Monday were the only noteworthy things for me (trust me, Tuesday through Friday were way too mundane to even think about discussing here), but I have a feeling that Saturday and possibly Sunday will be filled with a cornucopia of things to chronicle. So, here’s some more comical stuff to try and cheer the readers up after reading a sad first part of this blog.

Monday, I had free time so I went to I-Drive (usually asking for trouble there with the number of dumb tourists around who drive like the speed limit is 20 miles lower than it actually is) and I had an idea or two as to where to eat dinner, but I drove by Bahama Breeze and realized it’s been far too long since I’ve eaten there, so I made a U-turn and decided to eat there. Sure, I had my usual-or as some would say, “almost always”-of a burger and fries, but I also tried something for the first time… a mai tai. Seriously, I had never tried one before. I understand there are many variations, but what I had was good; so was the food. After that I had a hankerin’ for yogurt, so yep, I went to the nearby Pinkberry. I ate part of the lychee meal there and I finished it at home. I saw two interesting things there. The first is the fact that I saw a young girl eating yogurt who happened to be bald. You usually know what that means, and that’s always sad to see/hear. But, she seemed to be in good spirits, and plus, I should never complain about anything, really, when there’s people who are definitely worse off than me.

On a lighter note, while I was eating there I saw a 2012 Fiat 500 pass by. It’s the first one I’ve ever seen in the wild, much less in person. It’s a cute little car, based on a cute little car they made way back in the day that was seemingly popular everywhere around the world except in the U.S. In the U.S., Fiat used to be around but they left; they had a bad reputation. When Fiat became popularly known in a pejorative acronym for “Fix It Again, Tony” (their cars broke down a lot), you can see why they left. Well, they’re back, better, own a big percentage of Chrysler, and that’s why they’re back with that Fiat 500 I saw pass by. It looks nice and who knows, the next time I have to buy a car-Lord knows when that’ll be-that could be the vehicle I replace the Mazda with.

I’ll be back on Monday (it may not be until the evening, though) with my next blog, where I talk about what I did today and tomorrow. It’ll be eventful, I promise you that.

Oh, and look at the right of this page. If you do that, you'll see a brief note about my (failed) attempt to try and port what I had on MySpace to another location.

No comments:

Post a Comment