Monday, October 14, 2019

The Thing, War, Gemini Man, 4D Experiences & HFR 3D+

The main aspect of the preceding week: viewing some movies theatrically. Monday evening, I went to CityWalk at Universal Studios; it was at the Cinemark, which was an AMC Theatres until September of last year. It largely looked the same as before although the auditoriums were remodeled and now have the “luxury recliners” that have been in vogue for a few years now, and in general are very nice. This Halloween season they have had “Fright Nights”, which is showings of old horror movies; if only 1985's Fright Night would have been one of them. Anyhow, it is a nice lineup of such classics as The Exorcist, Psycho and A Nightmare on Elm Street. Well, on this night I saw The Thing theatrically. I am talking about the movie from John Carpenter starring my (non) relative Kurt Russell. It's a tremendous movie so I was happy to see it that way and plenty of people were in the auditorium; thankfully there were no issues or bad/rude behavior.

Tuesday I did nothing but Wednesday was one of those days which wasn't good overall but did have one positive stretch. I went and saw another movie, this time one from India. Indian movies aren't hard to see in Florida, but picking one is the thing... the fact that all of them are over 2 hours long is the big thing. However, I heard that War was an insane action film in the best of ways, so even though it was 156 minutes in length I went and took a chance on it. Well, it was gleefully absurd so it was a good time... even if there was a screaming child in the audience and the auditorium was freezing cold... I suppose it was at times a 4D experience as part of the movie takes place in the Arctic Circle; but, freezing cold would have been better for The Thing screening. Anyhow, the traffic there and back was full of A-holes behind the wheel and my dinner wasn't as good as expected so other than the movie I'd rather forget about Wednesday.

Oh yeah, I should mention that War was about a super Indian agent who has to go against his mentor after he seemingly went rogue. The movie was amazingly homoerotic, to be perfectly frank here. Thursday I went and saw another movie about a great agent: Gemini Man. For a nerd like me the big draw was not director Ang Lee or even star Will Smith but rather the unique way the movie was shot: a higher than usual frame rate. I could write paragraphs about the whole process but I imagine many don't particularly care plus there are sites which can explain it better than me... the picture is for certain clearer, although the action does move differently so I know people whose brain just rejects high frame rate and it does not work for them. I imagine that is a big problem to HFR becoming a common thing. Anyhow, I saw it in HFR 3D+ (simply, that format in 3D) and on a Dolby Cinema screen, which was huge and had dual laser projection.

The movie itself, it was more about its appearance and the digital creation that was Young Will Smith rather than its story and dialogue, which typically was either OK or pretty bad. That digital creation usually looked fine, although the one time it was fully lit, its appearance was shockingly awful. If you can see it in HFR 3D+, do so: that picture blew me away due to its clarity and it was the best 3D I've ever seen. Aside from that Gemini Man is a rather generic movie which kind of wastes its unique clone premise. I saw this at Disney Springs so Thursday night when I wasn't at the movie I walked around the area, and enjoyed it dressed up for the fall season.

Friday through Sunday the only things I did was either go into town for food or relax at home. One night was Domino's Pizza, because there was a coupon in the mail for a large pizza and bread bites; to be frank, it was a deal which was more about quantity than quality. The next time, I'll talk about the sporting event I saw some games of on TV as of late... and other things, which are not set in stone as of now.

No comments:

Post a Comment