Monday, October 21, 2019

Rugby World Cup, .38 Special, Disney Skyliner & Pitiful Football

Monday through Wednesday I really did nothing of note; henceforth, let me talk about some sports that are considered niche in the United States but I have viewed in the past few weeks. Late last month was the Grand Final in the Australian Football League; yeah, I still once in awhile see Australian Rules Football. In hindsight, I am not surprised that Richmond defeated Greater Western Sydney in a massacre (114 to 25) yet I did hope for something more competitive. During this past week I saw a replay of the National Rugby League Grand Final (also in Australia) and it was rugby league; Sydney Roosters defeated Canberra 14-8; while low-scoring, at least it was more competitive. Finally, this month I have seen a few rugby union (they are big differences between that and rugby league... it'd take paragraphs to try and explain to someone who don't know) games as the Rugby World Cup is currently happening in Japan. That huge typhoon canceled a few games but much more importantly, not too many lives were lost and the person I know who actually lives in Japan is fine.

Thursday was definitely the most interesting/exciting day for me. I returned to Disney, Epcot in particular. It was nice to experience the Food & Wine Festival again and eat dinner there, but the big draw for me was the new Disney Skyliner gondolas. They opened late last month and not even a week into operation, the whole thing broke down and people were stranded for a few hours; there's not a good look for Disney. Thankfully there were no issues while I was on them. From the Epcot station I went to the end of that line at the Caribbean Beach resort. I then transferred to the line that took you to the Art of Animation and Pop Century Resort; I hadn't been there in ages but both have tremendous theming so it was nice to walk around there for a bit. Back at Epcot, the band performing on this night was .38 Special; I am not sure how cool it makes me to admit I happily listened to all their songs in that 35 minute set, but I'll admit it anyhow.

The rest of the week, the only noteworthy event was picking someone up from the Sanford Airport. After Saturday it should be awhile before I make another airport run. Due to traffic and other factors, I was happy to lay low and relax. The Chicago Bears game against the New Orleans Saints game was on locally so I... well, did not watch all of it; instead I saw small bits and pieces, which was enough for me. The Saints won 36-25, but note that until late the score was 36-10 and the Bears were totally humbled. After what happened last Monday night where the Green Bay Packers won a game against the Lions after some atrocious refereeing, it sort of is a relief that Chicago will be mediocre at best this season as that will make it easier to ignore the NFL in general and not have to watch the New England Patriots (probably) win it all yet again. I'll have better things to do with my time instead.

Next Monday, I am expecting to write about more events as the upcoming week should be at least a little livelier... that's the plan, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment