Monday, April 8, 2019

Pet Sematary, Texas Tech, Bret Hart & Not Watching Wrestlemania

Monday (April Fools' Day) I did nothing at all, which was an outcome I was satisfied with. Tuesday was different: I got a haircut which even more so than usual was much-needed. I mean, I realized that if I let my hair grow long enough, it becomes curly, which is how it was when I was a baby. I also went to the city of Leesburg to visit two stores, and I purchased items from both Ollie's Bargain Outlet and Rural King; the names of those establishments do a fine job of explaining what they are.

Wednesday I did nothing at all, although that day and Thursday I was all discombobulated for reasons I won't get into, nor will I explain why this month hasn't gotten off to the best start. Yes, “horrid traffic” is one of the reasons why. Thursday, I went into town for fast food and Friday I ended up at Target for a few items. The weekend was more interesting. Saturday night was insanity, right from home. Various big wrestling shows were happening in and around New York City, as this year's Wrestlemania is in the area this year. There was also the WWE Hall of Fame, where retired wrestler Bret Hart was on stage and for reasons unknown, a fan attacked him... before wrestlers and former UFC fighter Travis Browne literally bum-rushed the stage and laid a beating on him. Then, the college basketball Final Four was also on this evening, and I saw parts of both games, which proved to be close. Tonight is the final between Virginia and Texas Tech, two teams who surprisingly made it that far. I paid more attention to Live PD, which had some wild moments this episode, such as a guy fleeing on a motorcycle before crashing and somehow only suffering minor injuries. Late that night I watched most of an Australian Rules Football game between Western and Gold Coast; yes I still watch that.

Sunday, I went to a local cineplex to see the new Pet Sematary. Late in the week I viewed the original 1989 movie; it was fine and had some interesting themes in its dark story, although some things can be nitpicked, such as some of the acting. Fred Gwynne was the clear highlight with his performance as it was far better than most everyone else. Thus I was not offended when the movie got remade. The new version is also fine, although it has a different set of strengths and weaknesses, and as the trailers spoiled, there are big changes to the story. At least the acting is notably better as a whole. I could write for paragraphs as to why I don't watch modern pro wrestling but I do still follow what goes on online and once in awhile I see matches from my youth and I always listen to podcasts about the inside dirt of years long since passed... I'll just say the industry, the Cirque de Soleil-esque matches that are now commonplace and lack of good storytelling in storylines or in the ring have pushed me away and I know I am not the only one who feels that way.

No way would I watch Wrestlemania 35, and not just because I haven't watched WWE in years. It's because people know it would be way too long at SIXTEEN matches and the event went on for SEVEN and a half hours. From what I've heard, the main thought on the minds of those in attendance was not the memorable moments but rather how the show's length was brutal on everyone. Transportation was an issue as the buses and trains in the area were not operational by the time the marathon was finished... henceforth, I am happy not to have spent one second watching that garbage from a brutally inept company. Anyhow, when I return a week from today, the plans are to discuss me visiting a place or two for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment