Monday, April 22, 2019

Missing Link, Rugby Union, Penguins, Tortoises & Vancouver Whitecaps

Monday through Wednesday weren't too terribly eventful. The only thing really worth mentioning (as I imagine no one is waiting for baited breath for me to mention that I went to a grocery store) is that I used the AMC A-List app to see a movie, Missing Link. This is my first Laika film... they are a stop-motion animation studio that has previous made Coraline, The Boxtrolls, ParaNorman, and Kubo & The Two Strings. Shame on me for not supporting a small studio doing an animation style that is not commonly done anymore as it seems like something I would naturally do. I did not love the movie but it was still pretty good and nice family entertainment which had beautiful, colorful animation and some nice lessons for the kids. Link isn't doing well at the box office so I was happy to support it and in the future I'll see Laika's other movies, which I understand are better and not as geared towards small children like Link was.

Thursday through Saturday I was busy. This included seeing the Disneynature movie Penguins in IMAX, borrowing someone's bike to ride on a rural state trail and I finally saw an Orlando City Soccer Club game where Orlando won the contest. First, the film: as I had heard, those Disneynature movies do craft an artificial story to be appealing and do not go hard on the scientific aspect. This was true with Penguins yet I'll still say it was fine overall... there were cute animals and the scenery was great to see on the big screen. On the bike path I saw other animals: butterflies, a variety of birds, and several tortoises & turtles. Past experiences on the James A. Van Fleet State Trail have included alligators and snakes.

Saturday was a very nice day: windy but the highs were only in the mid 70's. I figured it'd make sense to spend further time outdoors and this was done by attending an Orlando City SC Major League Soccer game. This was my third time seeing them live... in 2016 they tied the New York Red Bulls 1-1 and in '17 they lost to Toronto 3-1. This time they played against the Vancouver Whitecaps. Last year the team was atrocious so I actively avoided them. So far this year they are about average but it still an improvement; at least they are better than Vancouver. They did play better than Vancouver, yet could not score a goal. Finally, it happened in the final few minutes and I finally saw them win a game live, by a score of 1-0. Of course there were odious sports fans around... loudmouth buffoons are regrettably real common at professional sporting events. I tried my best to ignore them-between that and the awful traffic on the day before Easter, the day aside from the game I'd rather like to forget. Another 2019 mantra is looking to be: there will be too many bad days but even those might have some good moments. At least it was a nice day spent in a nice little stadium-where most of the fans were fine-and I'll have to return there sometime later in the year.

Sunday was Easter and I did nothing of note except relax; one of the programs I viewed on TV was a rugby union game. When I brought up that sport last time, I was referring to some rugby league games that are sometimes shown on Fox Soccer Plus. Well, yesterday I viewed a full game of rugby union. I won't get into the differences between union and league, but there are some major ones and Wikipedia can explain it to you. Which one I think is "better", I can't quite say as of yet. When I return a week from today, nothing is on my agenda... yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment