Monday, March 25, 2019

Us, Triple Threat, College Basketball & Game Show Host Waiters

I did nothing on Monday the 18th so I'll mention something I brought up a few weeks ago. I was unsuccessful in locating Orange Vanilla Coke, but soon after that I did find a 12 pack, and the drink was as tasty as I'd hoped it would be. Tuesday, it had its ups and downs, yet in my attempt to remain positive here, I'll just mention the good... I went to a few stores and in the evening, I was at a movie theatre to see a film that was on the big screen for one night only and now is on demand from the usual sites you can stream movies from, like iTunes or Amazon. Triple Threat is a martial arts action film starring various talents from Far East Asia plus some from the West who should be much bigger stars then they are now (Michael Jai White, Scott Adkins). It was what I expected: it wasn't incredible like some recent martial arts films (The Raid; also, this is far less bloody than the Netflix movie The Night Comes for Us) but it's still a blast and I enjoyed the action.

Late Tuesday night, the friend of a parent came into town and it was a last minute deal... and they flew down from the Midwest. Wednesday night I did nothing but Thursday, I went with them to the local Red Lobster restaurant as that is what they desired... yes, Lobsterfest brought them in. Our meals were all fine overall but the waiter... he was something else. The best way to describe the way he acted and spoke: game show host! That was his tone of voice, diction, and his overall demeanor; now, overall he was fine as a waiter and I can't complain about the job he did yet the way he acted was just so bizarre.

Friday, I went into town to drop off items at Goodwill then a random gas station to pick up some drinks at their convenience store... and Saturday I did nothing at all. Before I talk about Sunday, Thursday through Sunday was the yearly latter half of March tradition of watching the first two rounds of the NCAA college basketball tournament. It was the same as usual, meaning excitement and some upsets. Sunday itself, dinner was had with me, the parent and their friend at the local chain restaurant known as Gator's Dockside. I've talked about it in the past and they have good food. I was not sure when I would see Us... UCF losing its tournament game to Duke (which they really should have won) meant that I did not feel like watching last night's tournament games, so I might as well see it then. The place I chose perhaps wasn't the right one... among other things, someone left a SOILED DIAPER in the stall of the men's room!

As for Us... once I finally saw Get Out last year, I was like most and thought of it was great. Us, though... I know many love it already... as for me, if it wasn't for some effective scares, the movie looking & sounding nice and some of the performances, I would not even say it was average. I know, another case of me having a controversial opinion, and I can't fully explain why without massively spoiling everything. Thus, I'll just state: I was with the movie early on but the further it progressed and I realized what sort of movie it was, Us lost me and once they presented some sort of explanation, it was a “huh?” Any “hidden meanings” I'd rather not try to decipher as on the surface I thought the laughs came from me chuckling AT the film rather than WITH it, which was how the crowd there treated it too. Yeah, my fellow film-goers did not seem too enthused by it either... although perhaps I shouldn't compare myself to people that go to a movie theatre where some tool changes a poop-filled diaper in a bathroom and doesn't throw it away! But people were leaving during the extended final shot of the film, which is not a good sign. All that said, I presume those reading this who want to see Us will like it more than me.

When I return a week from today, hopefully I'll have more positive things to discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment