Monday, November 26, 2018

Thanksgiving, Auto Shows, Voodoo Doughnuts & Metal Health (Bang Your Head)

This was another one of those weeks where not a lot happened but there still were some interesting moments. Monday, I went with someone to a Sam's Club in an Orlando suburb-they are a member, unlike me-and several items were purchased there. As I imagine not too many are interested in hearing how they changed their layout since my last visit, I'll skip ahead and mention how the person I was with wanted to eat dinner at a Five Guys Burger & Fries, so I obliged. That went fine and unlike the crowded joint I was at the last time I was at Five Guys, hardly anyone was there despite it being in the 5PM hour. Tuesday through Thursday, nothing to really talk about except that Thanksgiving was the customary meal that I have with some family members, and this time around my aunt was also present. It was a nice day... oh and the Chicago Bears also played early in the afternoon, against the Detroit Lions. The Bears won and this was without their first string QB playing due to injury. The Lions are so lousy they lost to a backup-Chase Daniel-who has hardly played at all during his time in the league.

Friday, I did what I've done pretty much every Black Friday since I moved down here and that was go to the Orange County Convention Center and experience the Central Florida International Auto Show; that is where many manufacturers bring their 2018 or 2019 models for people to look at up close. As always, vehicles like the Corvette and Camaro are pretty popular, and certain demographics love the giant trucks... some of those are outrageously expensive now, as in $70,000 or more! I ate dinner there and I sat by the area which Jeep set up that had a simulated off-road course, and I got to faintly hear some old-school R&B... that to me was a plus. On the way back I went to a Trader Joe's as I hadn't been there in awhile; I picked up a few random items. Also on the way back I heard the 80's heavy metal song Metal Health (Bang Your Head)-by Quiet Riot-twice on two different radio stations. That was a win to me; this may say a lot about my tastes considering I recently bashed Post Malone and here I am praising 80's heavy metal... but I have no regrets about that.

Saturday I did nothing; Sunday, that was interesting. I went to Office Depot to purchase a few items... after that I had a late lunch at PDQ as my last visit was long ago. In the evening, I returned to Universal Studios CityWalk for the first time in about three months. The only thing new there was that the AMC Theatres is now a Cinemark-I have known about that since the change was made in September. I had a drink at one of the bars... a beer was ordered but I received a cocktail instead. As the random thing I had tasted fine, I did not get mad at the bartender for the mistake. In addition, I finally tried out the Voodoo Doughnuts that opened there earlier in the year. The two doughnuts I got (an orange creamsicle and one with Cap'n Crunch) were very tasty. What an interesting place that was... and their two slogans say a lot. The first is “The Magic is in the Hole”-there is a good reason for me to snicker at that, and it is their other slogan. If you order a set of doughnuts they are put into a pink box and well... emblazoned in many different places is the phrase “Good Things Come in Pink Boxes.” No comment...

Next time around, nothing is on the agenda as of yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment