Monday, November 12, 2018

The Oviedo Mall, Overlord, Die Hard & Pretentious Twaddle

The preceding week had some interesting moments along with days where I did not do much of anything at all. Monday the 5th I went to two stores in my town. The first was Walmart to pick up a few items; the second was Winn-Dixie. I hadn't been to a W-D in years as I did not feel like it. What inspired me to finally return was that online I randomly stumbled upon news that they remodeled the local store. Once I went there, I discovered this to be true. My trips there will be at least once in a blue moon to purchase random products. Tuesday, after I voted I went to a movie theatre to watch a motion picture. Now, in the past I've talked about the late 70's European horror film Suspiria. That has many fans; even they can admit that the storytelling and logic isn't always great, but the colorful visuals and musical score are great. As I mentioned last fall, I got to see it theatrically and that was a fun experience.

Now, there is a remake of it, but they only took the basic plot synopsis and went in other directions. Many film fans love it but me... pretentious claptrap is my opinion. The movie brags about having “six acts and an epilogue” and it's 2 ½ hours long. Most of the added material was superfluous and pointless; while not everything about the movie is bad, what made me ultimately hate it was that after a laughable finale (one of a few times where there are pretty gruesome moments that become silly because they go on for WAY too long) the epilogue bored me to tears and it just would never end. IMO, stick with the original Argento movie.

Wednesday I did nothing but Thursday, I had to make yet another airport journey; this time it was dropping off someone in Sanford; on the way back I stopped at the Oviedo Mall as I hadn't been there in years. The place was different since my last visit but to be honest, I will only make it out that way once in a blue moon as there aren't too many reasons for me to make that long drive-not to mention pay all those tolls. One eatery I like to try in the future but I will talk about that another time, once they are open. Friday and Saturday were nondescript, unless people want to hear about me going into town to pick up pizza. Veterans Day was more interesting for me. The Chicago Bears beat the Detroit Lions 34-22 (as they should have) then I went to Disney Springs to see two movies.

The first one was Die Hard, a personal favorite of mine; this was not the first time I've been able to see that theatrically. Even thirty years later I still say the movie is incredible so I am glad I had another opportunity to partake in it... this time it was presented by TCM and Fathom Events. I then left that AMC to walk around Disney Springs a bit (where I enjoyed the holiday decorations they have up) before returning and seeing Overlord. That was the B movie I expected it to be; it is silly yet fun as it delivered plenty of gore and violence. Also, what a movie to see on Veterans Day, something about D-Day... and Nazis doing evil experiments to create super-soldiers.

When I return a week from today, I have a few ideas in mind as to what I'll be discussing.

No comments:

Post a Comment