Monday, December 3, 2018

Passports, Brutalist Architecture & The Possession Of Hannah Grace

The end of November did not arrive like a lion. Last Monday and Tuesday the only thing of note I did was help a parent book an airline flight-while doing that I saw another example of airlines being scumbags and raising their prices if you look at the site too long or too often. The way to combat that is either by clearing your browser cache or looking at it in incognito mode. If you have no idea what I am referring to, hopefully you can have someone else explain it or are able to look it up online. Wednesday was more interesting. I went to the local Walgreens to have a passport photo taken; you see, I need to renew my passport before I can renew my drivers license in a few months. Thus, might as well get on the ball now. The older lady doing that had some technology problems but I understand as she was an elderly person so no way could I be a heel there and it took only a few minutes longer than expected. 

After that I went to Orlando to visit some places I hadn't been to in a few years. First was Smashburger, which offers tasty food and all... but in Central Florida there is a plethora of good eatery options. They now have the option of building your own burger and thus I had one with a pretzel bun... as I also got a specialty shake (which included peppermint) it was a pretty good meal. After that I wandered around the Orlando Fashion Square Mall, which is doing poorly compared to how it has been in the past. At least I went to a clearance store of the Southern department store chain Dillards, and got a pretty good shirt for a pretty good price.

Thursday and Friday I did nothing at all; Saturday night I finally went somewhere due to boredom. I hadn't use my AMC Theatres A-List app in a few weeks so even though there isn't much that is out now or will come out this month that I am too terribly interested in, my schedule and that of the AMC lined up where the only thing I could see that I had even a modicum of interest in was The Possession of Hannah Grace. I know many hate it but for me it was OK. Unfortunately for it, a lower-budget movie with a similar plot (weird things happen with a corpse at a morgue) was done a lot better with The Autopsy of Jane Doe, starring Brian Cox and Emile Hirsch. That came out a few years ago and between the two I definitely recommend Jane Doe. The funniest thing for me is that in Hannah Grace, it was set and filmed in Boston; the building they used for the hospital/morgue was designed using Brutalist architecture and well, those around Orlando should know what I mean when I compare it to the big library building that is in downtown Orlando. I mean, it was quite similar. I'll presume that building they used in Boston wasn't actually a hospital.

Sunday, I went into town to get one Jersey Mike's Subs for me and one for someone I know; this was a good move on my part. Another good move was not going anywhere to see the Chicago Bears play against the New York Giants. Starting Bears quarterback Mitchell Trubisky is still injured so once again their backup had to start and from what I understand his performance was not good... no surprise the Giants won in overtime despite being a pretty bad team. When I return next Monday, there are some ideas as to what will be discussed.

No comments:

Post a Comment