Monday, January 8, 2018

The One Time I Got Mad Again Due To The Incompetence Of Others

I'll be up front here, from Wednesday through Friday I did nothing of note as I was feeling under the weather; not wanting to go outside when it was cold (by Florida standards) is another reason but I was happy to stay in and recover. Thankfully, due to the generic DayQuil and NyQuil I got from Walgreens, that illness was eradicated and I was able to do things during the weekend, as I'll explain later.

New Year's Day, I spent the first day of 2018 relaxing. I did not get drunk the night before; I watched TV and messed around online. The big football games, at least the first one was interesting. Tuesday, that was an eventful day, often for the wrong reasons. I went to Disney Springs, and I saw The Last Jedi again, this time on a Dolby Cinema at AMC screen. I've plugged that before as I've gone to it in Altamonte Springs a half dozen times and never had a problem there. The one at Disney Springs opened less than 2 months ago; I saw Coco that way and that screening had no issue. I presumed everything would be fine this time... oh no. I imagine most at that screening had no idea how Dolby Cinema at AMC works... I do. A pair of laser projected images are shown at the same time and that's how the picture is both bright and crystal clear. Well, already one of the two projectors wasn't working, so the screening happened anyway and while it was clear and the sound was great, the picture was dark. AMC apparently thought it was OK but not me. Believe it or not, the same thing happened to someone I know back in November, this time at the Dolby Cinema in the Tampa suburb of Brandon. I tell you, it's great... when it works properly. I'll stick to the one in Altamonte Springs as it's never treated me wrong and it was incredible seeing things like Valerian and Blade Runner 2049 that way.

Anyhow, I would have gotten a refund, except it was a film I was seeing again (I did not like it the first time and I still don't like it now) and I got the ticket via Fandango and paid it with my debit card; trying to get a refund there at a busy place may have been a nightmare. Such things as the screening not being the best when it came to how the crowd acted seemed minor in comparison on this chilly day and evening. After that I had pizza from a new place that just opened. Maria & Enzo's just opened, although it wasn't when I was there. Instead I got food from next door, which is an attached counter-service place known as Pizza Ponte; that pizza reminded me of Sbarro's, which is not meant as a compliment. At least it was a HUGE piece and the food was still edible. I imagine the regular Maria & Enzo's (it has a travel/air terminal theme) will be good.

Now, onto the weekend. Saturday I went to a few stores in town. Even then, I had to honk at a few people because they were exhibiting sheer stupidity. Yes, things have not changed in 2018 at all when it comes to how others drive in Florida. I once again wondered if a few people were high on meth and it was a distinct possibility. Sunday, I went to the Mecum auto auction in Kissimmee. For more than a week, every day except one has cars being auctioned off; it's the largest of its kind, with a few thousand being bid on. Due to a friend of someone I know having a hookup, I got a pair of tickets for free; I'll be there again sometime this upcoming week. A wide variety was there to be seen; while there are plenty of valuable cars, I was most interested in the oddballs, such as obscure makes that only made a limited number, or vehicles imported from Japan, that sort of thing. A Toyota sedan being converted into a Japanese hearse got a lot of attention, as all of those have elaborate designs made to mimic a temple, and that design is done for a reason. I'll have to talk more about that next week, along with other fun things I hope to do.

Oh, and on the way back I stopped at a new Hooters in Kissimmee. The building itself was a nice design; the service wasn't always the best but I know it's new so I understood. The food did taste fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment