Monday, January 1, 2018

Jack in the Box, Raising Cane's, Bubba's 33, And Other Kansas Vacation Highlights

Here's what I've done in the past two weeks, which happened to be the final two weeks of 2017. Monday the 18th through Thursday the 21st I don't have much to write about, unless people want to hear about the fast food I got from some restaurants. So I will move onto Friday the 22nd, when me and a parent started the drive to the area of Wichita, Kansas. That day went fine as we spent the night in Conway, Arkansas, and dinner was had at a Logan's Roadhouse. Lunch was had in Gulfport, Mississippi, at a famous regional fast food joint known as Raising Cane's, where the crux of the focus is on chicken fingers. That food was pretty good so I wish there was one in Florida. Saturday we arrived in Kansas and instead of staying at a Super 8 as we had done before, instead it was at a Motel 6... but the fanciest Motel 6 I had ever seen. It was built right by a Wild West attraction that either never opened or was only partially open before closing. Thus, it has the appropriate motif and is nicer than what you'd expect from the chain. They even have an indoor heated pool, which my sister and nephews came over twice to use.

My sister is doing fine, as are my twin nephews, who are now 5 years old. I can't believe it's been 5 years already. They are typical boys at that age and I imagine plenty will know what I am talking about there. It was nice hanging out with them and there was fun to be had. I won't get more detailed than that. The restaurants in Wichita, I've been to a decent number by now and they vary in quality, and the service isn't always the best. Maybe next year... one night was a Christmas ham and the others the restaurants visited were Twin Peaks, Applebee's and Bubba's 33 (founded by the same dude who founded Texas Roadhouse). Bubba's would have better if they did not add elements to make all the food spicy... even my pizza had pretty spicy sausage. All the food was still edible at worst and was usually fine, so I cannot complain.

The trip back home, we went through Oklahoma and the northern part of Texas before skirting through Louisiana and spending the night outside of Jackson, Mississippi. For the first time in years, I ate at a Jack in the Box; there was none in the parts of Illinois I lived in or in Florida. That was in middle of nowhere Texas and it was good food; again, why can't there be one in Florida? Finally we made it back home the next day, and it was usually raining. The traffic there and back... it varied in quality and there were times I wondered if some people were high on meth, no kidding. We were stuck in traffic for a bit around Ocala and thankfully from looking on my smartphone (no, I was not driving at the time) the location of the crash was discovered so we stayed on instead of exiting and making things much worse. OF COURSE the way people drove in Florida was worse and more rude than elsewhere. I definitely saw some reckless driving on this vacation and I was not surprised by the Ocala crash or seeing a semi truck tipped over in Oklahoma. The trip was nice but it is always nice returning home too.

The rest of 2017, I don't have too much to say. Thus, I'll skip ahead to December 31, and I actually went somewhere to see the Chicago Bears play. It was their last game of the season so it made sense. To no one's surprise, they lost to a team (the Minnesota Vikings) that are so good they have a legitimate chance of playing in the Super Bowl, while the Bears ended up with a 5-11 record. The game was meh; maybe next year they'll be better. The NFL has had a pretty rotten season and I chose to ignore most of it; yet I can say it was nice to see Tennessee, Jacksonville, the Rams and Buffalo all make the playoffs as none of them had been that good in years and for those fans it's awesome. Personally, I'm tired of seeing the Patriots in the Super Bowl so I wouldn't mind a matchup like Jacksonville vs. Minnesota or Philadelphia vs. Tennessee, as improbable as it is. The night of NYE, I never do anything as I feel no need to go out. I stay in and do other things. This time, I had to help some people with getting a brand new computer (an all in one model) up and going as their previous was a desktop and after many years it finally gave up the ghost and stopped working correctly. That went off without a hitch and the new way of Windows starting up for the first time and getting a new computer working... different as you have their version of Siri (Cortana) narrating to you the entire time.

2018, I hope the year turns out decent. 2017 wasn't great for me... I know it wasn't great for a lot of people so I am sure it will be a common refrain to wish 2018 to be better. Not too much is on my agenda for the first week of the year... yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment