Monday, January 22, 2018

New Laptops, Mountain Dew Ice & Pohjala Must Kuld

As I mentioned in the last thing I posted, my laptop's cooling fan stopped working and if you did not know, an effect of that was greatly decreased performance. I took it into a local establishment to see how much it would cost to fix this; the price was too much for me considering the laptop is a few years old. I am not happy it broke down after such a short amount of time but alas... I ordered a new one, despite that being a higher cost. It was a different brand so I hope for better luck there. So far so good on that front. Someone I know did say that I should just order a fan myself from eBay and install it myself. A nice idea, except that I have hardly any experience with taking apart computer hardware; there's YouTube videos and all but I remember many years ago when that went awry for me. It was so long ago, the task I was doing was installing a card so the desktop computer could use high-speed Internet. That went fine... but a few months later it totally died. Maybe not the most prudent choice but as of now I am not regretting my decision.

Last Monday and Tuesday was me dealing with my now-former laptop so nothing to really say there. Wednesday was more interesting: I came to the realization I hadn't been to the local World of Beer in town so I decided to go there. That went fine; the one beer I'll mention is the Estonian brew known as Pohjala Must Kuld; it's a porter and it was acceptable, but the novelty for me was drinking a beer from Estonia. Thursday, that was interesting. I neglected to mention something I should have in my last post: for a short amount of time, I got to see two people I hadn't seen since I was a kid, meaning “many years”. They were family friends who happened to be down here from Illinois. My parents hung out with them all day while my interaction was much shorter. It was still nice seeing them. Anyhow, on this day a close friend of a parent came down here and they'll be here for a week. They've done this yearly for quite awhile now so it's become a tradition.

Thursday evening I went with that person and both parents to the local Bob Evans restaurant; we all enjoyed our meals. Friday, we did not have an elaborate meal; dinner was at Crispers, a Florida sandwich shop and that turned out fine. Saturday, we went to a restaurant I've mentioned a handful of times in the past: Hurricane Grill & Wings. I haven't been down that way in a long while as there has been construction on that stretch of road for more than a year now and it won't be completed for at least another year. Unfortunate, as they do make some pretty decent food. Sunday everyone stayed in. I barely paid attention to the two football games, which was fine by me given who won the first one and the second game being noncompetitive after the first quarter. Thus, I'll close this out by mentioning how in the past week I randomly discovered they had yet another limited edition Mountain Dew flavor; this one is known as Ice and if you ever wanted to have Mountain Dew that tastes like modern 7-Up, then boy do I have a drink for you.

When I return next Monday, I have some idea as to what I'll be doing but nothing is set in stone quite yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment