Monday, October 9, 2017

Suspiria, Tom Petty, Blade Runner 2049, & Loaded Capri Suns

Yea, I am posting this earlier than usual, because of reasons. What a lousy day Monday the 2nd was between the tragedy in Las Vegas and the news that Tom Petty was dead, then suddenly not dead, then hours later actually was dead. It takes me only like 35 minutes to drive from where I live to downtown Orlando and I've been by the Pulse Nightclub before; I did not think something worse than that would happen. While I mainly only know Petty's popular tunes, I enjoy listening to those songs so I was saddened he passed away. At least something not bad happened on this day, something I could enjoy on an otherwise sad Monday: I went and saw the classic 1977 giallo horror classic Suspiria, from Dario Argento. A boutique label is releasing it soon in a special edition and the print was scanned in 4K; for those of you who don't know such nerdy movie-restoring talk, that means the movie looks and sounds great. As the film is so much about the colorful aesthetic and an awesome soundtrack from the band Goblin... it was awesome seeing it that way. I enjoy the movie even if it isn't the most logical story... which is typical for giallo films anyhow.

Tuesday, I went with some people to The Villages; yes, I returned to that area. We ate at an a restaurant connected to one of the country clubs in the area. They had the food offered on “German/Hungarian Night” and they weren't big fans of said food. I had something else and the main dish was alright although at least the fries were good and I thought their pretzel rolls were real good. Wednesday I did nothing but Thursday, I went and saw Blade Runner 2049. I've seen the original a few times and it's great. I went to the AMC Altamonte as seeing it in the largest/best format was a must, and it did indeed look and sound tremendous on a Dolby Cinema at AMC screen. If the auditorium is like that one and has speakers on the ceiling, all the better as those are used often in the film. I wish I loved the movie like most already do... but it's only fine. I won't even get into why I am not over the moon about it as I don't want to ruin a single thing for those about to see it soon.

Friday and Sunday, nothing happened. Saturday, though... what a night I had. For the first time in like half a year, I returned to downtown Orlando to have a good time. Like the last time, I went to the wacky location known as Frosty's Christmastime & Lounge, where it's December 25 all the time and sometimes there is even fake snow. While there I randomly met a group of people. Initially it was a random dude with two young ladies. I talked to those ladies and without going into details, I figured out the dude wasn't going out with either of them. Things went fine; I was invited to go with them to another place; I eventually made my way there after finishing my drink. When I got to this second place, things went sour. I won't go into all the details but two other people in that party lied to me and I caught them in that lie... it took me forever to get my drink, and the women in question were briefly there but then vanished and without that one guy. I was not happy with how the night turned out; among other things, I wanted to talk to them more. As is, I'll be shocked if I see any of those people again, and it does disappoint me. Even if the feelings aren't reciprocated, I enjoyed meeting that party... especially those two ladies.

I won't even mention the name of the place I went to after Frosty's, as it was a real dive and they don't deserve the minuscule amount of attention my name-dropping them would create. Still, I do have to mention a unique beverage they offered. It was Capri Sun drink pouches... except that it contained booze. Was it impregnated by a needle? I can only assume so. At least it tasted fine. After I left that place, I felt like going home, so that's what I did. On the way back, I was on the 408 and for those not familiar with Orlando, that toll road ends at the Florida's Turnpike but there's a big curve in the road as the 408 ends and you get on the Turnpike. Well, thank heavens no other vehicles were by me as this idiot (likely heavily intoxicated) hit the curve in the road way too fast and he spun out; somehow, I was not hit and he did not even crash into the guardrail, despite spinning around several revolutions. I was relieved this palooka did not hit me-for obvious reasons-nor wreck, as if they would have, I'd have to stop, see if they were alright, call 911, wait for the cops to show up... what a hassle that'd be.

When I return next Monday, I hope things aren't as much a hassle for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment