Monday, May 29, 2017

Megacon, Star-Lord, Daenerys, 007, Overwatch & Sonic Hugh Hefner

The previous week, it only really had one day of note but what a day it was. Last Monday the 22nd I did not do a thing, but the 23rd I went with someone to the local restaurant in town known as Lilly's on the Lake. I have talked about it a few times before; their food is fine so I try to go there at least once in a blue moon. Wednesday was boring but Thursday, I ended up in Orlando for something. Once I got done with that, I went to Winter Park, where I returned to the Rocket Fizz store and I got some random gourmet soda. I then ended up at the Altamonte Mall; I walked around and I had dinner at a random new food court joint known as Steak & Burger. Yes, it does sound like a place I would eat at. I had a burger, fries, and soft drink; it was fine.

As I did nothing Saturday or Sunday, before I close this out by talking about the big convention I went to on Friday, I will mention that what happened in Manchester was pretty awful. No one should be petrified of going to a musical concert. Roger Moore passing away was also sad; aside from seeing him in various movies over the years, all the charity work he did with UNICEF was very commendable.

Now, onto Megacon, the convention I have gone to one day a year for the past few years now. It's always a wild experience at a comic con, as they have all sorts of different merchandise set up and most of it is highly nerdy; this time I actually did not spend much once I got in... I just ate dinner, picked up a few random comic books as they were only 50 cents each, and picked up some random Japanese food & drink to consume at home on another day. I am becoming an old and frugal man. It was still neat seeing what was available.

In addition, looking at everyone's cosplay is always a blast. I may not always know what's being cosplayed, but I commend everyone who does it as I am too lazy to do so, and I understand they put in many hours coming up with a costume, putting it together, adding any necessary accessories, and sometime roleplaying too. You can guess what many of the popular outfits were... I saw plenty of women as Harley Quinn (typically the Suicide Squad version) and quite a few dudes were Star-Lord. I had heard of the game Overwatch... I haven't played it but I am familiar with some of the characters. There were a lot of people who dressed up as those characters; I did not know the game was that popular. I was more surprised to see a few women as Kiki... yes, of the Kiki's Delivery Service anime movie. Some of the costumes were pretty wild... there was someone as  Daenerys from Game of Thrones and she carried on her shoulder a giant fake dragon (as opposed to a real dragon...) and it was pretty awesome. Then, there was a bipedal Sonic the Hedgehog who was dressed as HUGH HEFNER-complete with red lounge robe and sailing cap-and was walking around with several scantily-clad women. That is still astounding to me as it was outside the box thinking to come up with such an idea.

Megacon now has a convention in Tampa (that is in the fall) and as I always have a good time at these events and people are always friendly (complementing me on the shirts I have worn in the past, meaning either an XFL shirt or a Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon shirt... that's a wacky videogame, if you didn't know), I should probably go to that as I'd have a good time there, I am sure. At least I have time to decide. Also, at least the past few days were better for me than my Memorial Day weekend last year, when the air conditioning went out, and that was pretty miserable.

I won't be resting and relaxing on this day today, as I will be out and about a good amount of the day; you'll have to wait until next Monday to hear all the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment