Monday, October 24, 2016

The Exorcist, Shula Burgers, Bad Hombres & The Cubs!

You won't see me get political here; how I feel about that topic I'd rather keep private, as talking about it will only lead to problems. I know people who have all sorts of different beliefs and ideologies. I could not help but laugh that the phrase “bad hombres” was actually used in a Presidential Debate.

Last Monday and Wednesday were not days where anything of note happened, so let me skip ahead to Tuesday. I went and saw a movie. Before that I ate dinner somewhere. I was thinking about various places to go and I realized that I had driven by Shula Burgers on 192 plenty of times before without stopping there. Yes, it's one of a few different restaurants named after the legendary former pro football coach. I figured it was about time I went there; the food was pretty good, both the fries and the burger. I then went to Cinepolis to see The Exorcist; it was the Extended Director's Cut that it is on the movie's Blu-ray. I had never seen that version before; I hadn't watched the movie in years. Shame on me as I always thought it was excellent and it's still excellent now. Not a lot of people were in attendance and that is sometimes the case at the revival screenings I have attended at various locations in Central Florida. I wish more people would go to them, as I always want them around, you know.

Thursday, I returned to Disney Springs. This time I was with someone I knew. We walked around and went in a few stores. We then had dinner at Blaze Pizza, the place I mentioned early this month. I think they make very tasty food and my pal agreed. In the evening was the Thursday night football game the NFL has done each week during the season the past few seasons. Not to rant and rave, but those Thursday games are typically dreadful, as the Sunday to Thursday turnaround is not fair to anyone and the league cares more about money than the quality of those Thursday games and the league wonders why their ratings are down across the board this season... people are probably tired of all those players breaking the law, the league not caring about domestic violence, too many penalties (what a brilliant idea to crack down on “excessive celebration”... barf), and generally poor play. I certainly don't enjoy watching the NFL like I used to. 

I mainly ignore those garish Thursday games... they should only be on the first week of the season and the traditional Thanksgiving Day tussles, that's it. However, the Bears played against their rivals in the Green Bay Packers, so I had to pay attention. Yes, the quality of play was abysmal, although that is typically how the Bears have looked the past few seasons and they looked the lesser of the two teams. Chicago had another quarterback get hurt, so no surprise to me they lost to Green Bay by the score of . I could comment on some of the penalties, but what's the use? Like I said, no wonder there are more people than just me and some relatives of mine who have the same “meh” feeling on the NFL now.

Friday through Sunday, there's not a lot to talk about. Friday night I went to ABC Liquors in town for the first time; it's nice and all, but for me nothing will eclipse Total Wine & More. Saturday and Sunday, the only thing I'll mention... the Chicago Cubs in the World Series. Pretty amazing. As of course I am from the northern part of Illinois, I know plenty of Cubs fans. They hadn't even been to the World Series since 1945. It reminds me of 2003 during my college days at Illinois State University; one day two people I knew (and know) decided to drive up to Wrigley Field to be amongst the crowd outside the stadium for a National League Championship Series game against the Marlins. It was a unique experience trying to follow a game from outside the stadium via the radio and portable televisions... man, were things different 13 years ago. No, it was not “The Steve Bartman game”; that would have been a miserable 2 hour plus car ride back to ISU!

When I return a week from today... I'll talk about the Cubs in the World Series, and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment