Monday, October 10, 2016

Hurricane Matthew, Rampant Stupidity & Skyway Jack's

Here's what I've done since last Monday. On Monday the third, I went out and about and I'll leave it at that. I will say it was not a good day. It was not one big thing; rather, it was little things throughout the day. It was just dealing with stupid and loathsome people all throughout the day. It was people treating me like crap and stating that I have to follow non-existent rules; I don't even want to get into it. I just want to forget about the day. Unfortunately, Tuesday I did not do anything special and it was STILL a not so hot day. I still managed to deal with stupidity (it was online, naturally) then there was the wonderful time where the Internet, phone and cable all were out and they were out from 7:20 PM until almost 11:30 PM. This month just started off on a bad note and I was praying things would finall-y get better. Threats of Hurricane Matthew possibly coming over Florida did not help matters but not a good start for the week.

Wednesday, while I had to deal with awful behavior on the road that including multiple people weaving in and out and someone almost crashing into me, it was at least an improvement. Note that it included me walking around in pouring rain, soaking my clothing and necessitating washing them with a few other items before I put the pile in the dryer. This is because I went to Walt Disney World, Epcot in particular. I enjoyed the annual Food & Wine Festival, even if at times the rain was really coming down. I had some random food & drink, which did include some alcohol. I heard earlier in the year that Kurt Russell was releasing several wines. Well, two of them were there. I had the Chardonnay and it was pretty good. For the first time I got from the Japan booth the garlic shrimp, which included white rice. I now wish I would have tried it in years past. At least I'll be going back there once or twice more before it is finished the middle of next month.

Thursday and Friday... it was all about preparing then enduring Hurricane Matthew. Plus, there was the deal of how on Saturday I had to make another airport run, this time dropping someone off at Orlando International. Needless to say, Thursday an e-mail was sent to this person from United Airlines saying their flight was canceled. Thankfully, United then presented a link where for no charge they could fly out of another airport, and that was what was done. Now I had to drive them to Tampa International in the wee hours of the morning. Thursday was just rain and some wind. Friday, Hurricane Matthew did not do much of anything where I live. There was only some wind that gusted once in awhile and a few times we got a little rain; that was it. Being overcast was otherwise the worst part of the weather. Technology-wise, the cable went on the fritz Thursday night and Friday morning, the phones and Internet also went bust. All things considered, I can't complain. Not losing power was definitely a good thing.

The wee hours of Saturday morning, I made that drive to Tampa and its major airport. That journey went fine, at least until reaching Tampa and having to deal with Troglodytes driving way over the speed limit. The way back it was much, much worse. I had to deal with a whole lot of atrocious driving: more people weaving in and out, plenty of rude behavior, and tailgating for good measure. I did in fact make it rather clear to a few people what I thought of their behavior! Even on a Saturday morning, the infamous Interstate 4 has the most atrocious traffic. At least after leaving the airport, I did not head straight home. Oh no, I instead went to a famous local establishment in St. Petersburg. I've heard about it from people I know and this was finally a great opportunity to visit Skyway Jack's, named after the nearby Skyway Bridge. It's been around for years and I understand it's usually busy. Even in the 6 AM hour there were people around. It's a colorful hole in the wall place, where I saw some wacky characters (including the two waitresses, who freely cursed aloud) and I did have some pretty tasty pancakes. Even if I only go there on very rare occasions, I am glad I tried out Skyway Jack's.

Sunday, I stayed in and did not go out to see the Chicago Bears play. They did battle with another lousy team in the Indianapolis Colts and relaxing at home seemed like a more prudent decision. As the Bears lost 29-23 in a game that looked ugly from the highlights I saw, my choice was a good one. When I return a week from today... oh Lord please let this month of October improve for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment