Monday, September 26, 2016

The Magnificent Seven, Cheddar's & Dolby Cinema

This week wasn't so exciting but that is alright by me. Monday, I was out and about in the evening doing “things” (and I'll leave it at that); I ended up returning to the Chicago-themed bar and restaurant known as the Friendly Confines to see the Monday Night Football game between the Chicago Bears and the Philadelphia Eagles. I expected the Bears to lose and guess what, they once again looked piss-poor as they lost. Several players also suffered serious injuries so I was glad I had beer along with my late dinner. I have a feeling wins will be pretty rare for Chicago this season.

Tuesday, I decided to go to a restaurant I had been to before but it was in other states, including way back when there used to be one in Rockford and also in Wichita, Kansas. I went to Cheddar's (the one in Kissimmee) and I wish the experience could have been better. The person who waited on me was just not good at their job. My simple order somehow got screwed up (looking at the bill, it wasn't the kitchen's fault) and she did plenty of things wrong; despite the food still being edible, I think that if I go to the restaurant in the future, it'll be at one of the two other locations around Orlando. At least afterwards I returned to Disney Springs and went in a few stores. I noticed some new eateries are now open so real soon I need to try those out. The day wasn't a total loss, even if I had to deal with more than one incredibly rude person.

After that, the next few days I did nothing (aside from going to Walmart Thursday evening to get some miscellaneous items; that was an experience not out of the ordinary; Friday, I got tasty food from Culver's; I am glad there is one only a few miles from where I live. The pumpkin spice shake I got was a wise choice on my part) so onto Saturday. I could have done one of a few things. I had to do something in Orlando on Saturday morning. Not ideal but I had no choice in the matter. I decided to do something else after I completed my business since I was already in the city. 

Recently I was at the AMC Theatres in Altamonte Springs and saw they were constructing a new auditorium but I was not sure of its purpose. Friday night I discovered it was for Dolby Cinema at AMC. Yep, it's another deal most of the chains are doing where they put in giant screens and have fancy sound systems and sometimes real nice seats in an attempt to get more money during a time where American box office is down... especially this year. All of them are nice, although they are not created equal. I heard great things about Dolby Cinema from others so this was something I was looking forward to and I was there the first day they had it open. As an aside, I am lucky in that I live in such a populated area (the central part of Florida) there are many different chains down here. By my count, through the years in Florida I've been between the chains and the independents, probably close to 20 different companies that show movies, and it's probably more than two dozen different theatres I've been at. I definitely appreciate the wide selection, even if there may be an oversaturation through central Florida.

As for the movie I saw, it was The Magnificent Seven remake. It's no 1960 movie by the same name, and it definitely isn't the Akira Kurosawa classic The Seven Samurai; yet, it was still enjoyable for what it was. Dolby Cinema is something worth paying a few bucks extra to enjoy. The sound and picture were great, and the rumbling seat gimmick is at least amusing. Sunday, I was saddened to hear that talented Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez and two other people passed way in a boating accident; he was only 24 and he could have been a star for many years in the future. Arnold Palmer dying was also sad, although that wasn't as unexpected. As the Bears played in the evening, I stayed at home and did nothing. Chicago lost to the Dallas Cowboys 31-17 in a game I won't say anything else about; it was not as close as the score would indicate. Like I said, wins will probably be rare for Chicago this season.

When I return on October 3, I do in fact have some ideas for what I'll be doing in the coming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment