Monday, September 5, 2016

Hurricane Hermine, Don't Breathe, Blazing Saddles & Lewd Street Names

This past week turned out better than expected. Monday the 29th, I did not do anything. The only thing I'll say is that I was saddened to hear about Gene Wilder passing away. Of course I've seen some of his movies before, including as a kid. Tuesday I did not do anything either so onto Wednesday. On that day I finally used the free pass I got from Epic Theatres back last December when I saw The Force Awakens for the first time and right as the opening crawl began, some young guy apparently had a seizure then had a major league freakout before he finally calmed down. Due to all that, everyone in the crowd got a free pass and it was just now that I returned there and used it. I got to see Don't Breathe for free. A lot of people loved it but me, I thought it was disappointing. The story was crap and the blind villain comes across as Daredevil too often in what he is able to do despite being blind. Then again, I wasn't a big fan of the director's previous film-the Evil Dead remake-so perhaps my reaction was to be expected.

Thursday, the only thing I did was get a much-needed haircut. The weather cooperated enough to where only it was a little bit rainy as I drove the few miles to the barber. What became Hurricane Hermine was predicted to bring really bad weather to the region but thankfully it turned North so while plenty of rain was received and it was windy at times, overall it was not too bad here. I did feel bad for those who were hit hard. Friday was another one of those days where there is nothing to report, so onto an interesting weekend.

Saturday, I decided to attend a college football game, as a new season is starting up. I saw Stetson play back in 2014 but it was an away game. Finally, on this night I saw a game at Stetson; while I wish that they would have made it clearer where you are supposed to park then once you get in the stadium where people are supposed to sit, otherwise I have little complaint with seeing an event there. Stetson played against Sacred Heart University and despite SHU being in Connecticut, a surprising number of their supporters showed up to the game. I've seen only a handful of football games in person in Florida and all the other ones were either not competitive or were poorly played; thankfully this was intriguing the entire time. Sacred Heart won 18-14, but I expected SHU to win by more than 4 points so I can't complain. Maybe they'll be halfway decent this year. I wasn't sure about the weather up there, but there was no drops of rain to be felt. There were plenty of sweat drops from me, though; it was never not humid.

I drove there and back via a rural back way; I couldn't avoid rude people on the highway, although that's what I expected. On the way, I passed by a short road with quite the name: CUMMER ROAD. No further comment is needed.

Sunday, I went to Disney Springs, despite it being rainy from the time I left home to the time I returned home. It was because something different was showing at their AMC Theatres. Saturday and Sunday they showed Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory then Blazing Saddles. I went there to see the latter. I have watched the movie a handful of times in my life, including once on the big screen back in 2013. I wanted to see it again for obvious reasons and so did a lot of other people; they showed it in their largest auditorium that does not have an ETX screen, and the over 500 seat auditorium was definitely more than half full. It was nice to see a funny movie that way. I was concerned when a young couple w/ an infant girl that was like 6 months old showed up and sat close to me; thankfully that tyke hardly made any noise at all. To think that she and some elementary school kids at other recent screenings acted better than those asshats at that screening for the South Korean movie Train to Busan acted a few weeks ago.

When I come back a week from today, I do have a few ideas of what I'll be talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment