Monday, September 19, 2016

2001: A Space Odyssey, Blair Witch, ECTO COOLER & Dr. Loki Skylizard

It was in the past week that I heard from elsewhere that there's actually a doctor named Loki Skylizard; I used Google and not only was this true, the name came about because... he was 8 and HIS PARENTS ALLOWED HIM TO CHANGE HIS NAME TO WHATEVER HE WANTED. I swear this is true. Obviously, the smarts required to become a MD did not come from his parents... as for the reason why I have ECTO COOLER capitalized, I finally got to have the 2016 version of it. It was a long time coming. As a kid the Ecto Cooler juicebox was a frequent item in my lunchbox during elementary school, along with a sandwich and a light snack. I'll explain later how I finally was able to drink it again. I know there's controversy over if it was the exact same formula and taste as what it was back in the day (I have no idea; after all, I hadn't drank it in over 20 years). I can say that the 2016 version is good.

My Monday through Thursday wasn't too exciting. Aside from going with someone to a local restaurant in town known as Oakwood Smokehouse & Grill (I've mentioned it before; I just hadn't been there in at least a year) for a tasty meal, things have been quiet. Tuesday was the only real interesting day, and not just for when I was on the road and on a two lane highway someone saw me on a curve and yet pulled out right in front of me and then they actually creeped along real slowly. I thankfully only had to wait seconds to (legally) pass him and I let him know what I thought of his A-hole ways... and he got mad at me! He did not try chasing me (if he would have, he'd get a great look at my brake lights) but there wasn't even anyone behind me so he couldn't wait 5 seconds to go by him... thus, the gesture I gave that cretin was rightfully deserved. What was I going to say... oh yeah, I was on the road so I could return to Cinepolis, this time to see a classic film they were only showing once. I have seen 2001: A Space Odyssey before but the last viewing was years ago. I tell you, it's the sort of movie best experienced in a theatre. The soundtrack, the still great visuals, the scope of everything... it's an excellent motion picture, even if it's on the odd side. If only a larger crowd had shown up to a great opportunity such as this.

Friday, I went and saw Blair Witch. It shouldn't be a surprise to people that during high school, when The Blair Witch Project came out, I heard various comments about it, mainly from “haters”. They weren't any more clever than “The Blair Witch's your mom!” so it wasn't a big deal. Having watched BWP again a few months ago, I appreciate it more now than I did back then. To me it is amazing how it wasn't announced until relatively recently that the movie originally known as The Woods was actually Blair Witch. As an aside, never watch Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2. That was a not so bad idea done poorly and the studio that produced it interfered way too much also.

As for Blair Witch, I went to the Cinemark in Lakeland to check it out. That Cinemark is real nice but I hadn't been there in almost a year; it was due to distance and also them being dumb and not having enough people around for concessions during the Back to the Future Marathon they had last October; somehow they must have though it would not be a popular event, when it actually was. Well, this time things were back to normal there. Plus, this was where I got the can of Ecto Cooler. I picked it up after the film. The movie itself.. when I left I was thinking it was fine and I thought the same when I had dinner at the nearby Buffalo Wild Wings, where I had boneless wings with the Music City Fire sauce. It's limited edition and for those that enjoy pretty hot sauces, I imagine you'll dig it. I thought it was good, although I usually stick with the more mild sauces. Anyway, when I got home I realized that Blair Witch was only about average; it has a lot of faults and dumb mistakes.

Saturday and Sunday, I actually stayed in and did nothing. It was fine with me. After all, on Friday I had another case where I had someone pull out right in front of me. Not going out and thus avoiding such things was A-OK with me. The Bears play tonight and also play this upcoming Sunday night so when I return next Monday, I'll be able to talk about two of their games.

No comments:

Post a Comment