Tuesday, December 29, 2015

The Ups (and Downs) of My Kansas Vacation, 2015

As I typically do, I keep certain aspects of my private life just that, private. This goes for part of my trip this year to Kansas and back. I won't go into why that's the case but it is not something that anyone should worry about.

Anyhow, Monday the 21st the only thing I did was see The Force Awakens again, this time in IMAX 3D. It's still great and it was nice seeing it on a giant screen. Tuesday, that's when I left for the Kansas trip. It was a long drive up there and back, as it always is. On the way there and back there was plenty of rain and even some fog. At least unlike the previous occasions I was in Wichita or the journey up there and back, there was no show, freezing rain or bone-chilling temperatures. I was content with Wichita temperatures in the 50's, definitely. Anyhow, Tuesday was from Clermont up to Conway, Arkansas. An interesting stop was made in the middle of nowhere city of Citronelle, Alabama, a burg that I stopped in once before. The joint was known as Bertile's Restaurant and for a quick service joint, it's fine. At dinner in Conway, it was decided to eat at a Logan's Roadhouse. It wasn't my choice as I'd prefer something different but that's just me and they at least make fine food also.

Wednesday, it was off to the Wichita area. For lunch we ate at a random place in Oklahoma (there apparently are a few around the state) known as Robertson's Hams. They make fine sandwiches. Once we made it to the destination, I got to see my nephews again. They are typical 3 year olds in every sense of the term. They are certainly full of energy; I don't know how my sister does it. It was great interacting with them and whether in restaurant or grocery store parking lots, I sometimes held their hands and that was very nice. I also tossed a ball to them a few different times and they tossed it back to me. The visits with them included trips to World Market (where OF COURSE I saw more than one person w/ gross-looking dreads), Cheddar's-a restaurant I somehow had never been to before-and Kobe's Steakhouse. The original trip was going to end on Sunday as we'd drive back home in one shot. However, the weather was going to turn bad so it was decided to head back a day early. It's disappointing as I only get to see that part of the family a few days a year but with the weather it was the prudent decision.

Wichita was in the rearview mirror during the noon hour on Saturday. Besides rainy and during one stretch foggy weather it wasn't a difficult drive at all. Gas was purchased in a “rough part” of Memphis but way back in like '03 I spent time in the sketchiest parts of Chicago on accident and I survived despite seeing no white people for like a 45 minute stretch, so I had no fear. The night was spent in middle of nowhere Alabama, this time the town of Calera. It was at a Motel 6. In my life I've stayed at plenty of them and for the price they are fine. At least they have clean rooms, you know. Well, this place was a dump! The room looked tired and haggard, and there was a roach seen driving about. Thankfully we only spend enough time there to sleep then leave early. Sunday, the holiday traffic was thick as thieves, but we finally got home at around 6:15 PM.

Yesterday, I figured I should take the chance to see The Hateful Eight in 70mm, so that is what I did. I hadn't even been home for 24 hours and yet because it's Florida... I almost got into an accident! Someone swerved into me and I had to floor it on the shoulder to get around that jackass. I definitely made sure to let them know how I felt about their driving, as I had no idea how they didn't see me. As for the movie, thankfully there was no problem with that place running an old system of actual film and it being operated by someone who may not know a lot about it. They are doing this in about 100 theatres and there apparently have only been rare issues with it. The movie looks nice in film although seeing it in digital shouldn't be a huge difference in quality, IMO. Tarantino I am hit or miss with; some of his films are great and others I really don't like despite what many film fans say. I have some complaints but even with that I can still give the film high marks. If you like what QT does, it's more of the same so you should enjoy it. It's definitely a product of his so expect a lot of tension, foul language and graphic violence. 

I saw it at Disney Springs so afterwards I went to the old standby of Splitsville for dinner. I enjoy eating there as it's a nice place and I enjoy their food. Unfortunately, it may be awhile before I return there. The service, I was not happy with. I should not have to go to a table to pick up a bottle of ketchup because no one at the bar asked me if I needed anything else, which is what always happens. I tipped accordingly and I was not too pleased about it.

I'll be back on schedule and return on Monday, January 4th. It certainly does not seem like 2015 will be over in a few days. I never do anything on New Year's Eve and yet I'll still try to have something interesting to write about during the first days of early 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment