Monday, November 30, 2015

Auto Shows, Alfa Romeo 4C, A New Laptop & Silver Alerts

Here's what I've done since last Monday. On that day I ended up at a restaurant I hadn't gone to in a long while, BJ's Brewhouse & Restaurant. I've always enjoyed what they offer and that was again the case here. I had their smallest pizza as it was half-off at the time, and for the first time I had their pizookie; the name does a pretty good job explaining what it is, and it was great. Tuesday, I did not do anything but Wednesday, it was something out of the norm for me. I had been using the same laptop for a few years now and it still ran OK at this time but for several reasons I decided to get a new one, and I think I made the right decision. I really only use the laptop to surf the web, watch various streaming videos on it, and write something in Open Office. So, I did not need something high end and I found one on sale for less than 400 bucks. I went to Winter Garden Village and first I tried Best Buy, then I went to Staples. I got the HP Notebook at Staples. So far I have no complaints about it.

Thanksgiving, I stayed at home and had a very tasty meal with my parents. I did go out in the evening; I returned to the World of Beer to have a late meal, watch the Chicago Bears play against their hated rivals the Green Bay Packers, and consume a few drinks. On that end, the highlights include Angry Chair Silver Alert (yes, the company is named Angry Chair and yes, Silver Alerts are messages to the public asking them to find someone on the road who has dementia or Alzheimer's) and Brew Bus Brewing You're My Boy Blue. It was less crowded than the previous Sunday I was there and thankfully there were no braying jackasses around. As for the game, the Bears... won? Yes. Even I was shocked by that. It was constantly raining at the game and temperatures were in the low 30's so it was pretty brutal there, and that sort of describes the game and how it was officiated. Still, I'll always chortle when Chicago beats Green Bay, as it usually doesn't happen. 

Friday, I went to the Central Florida International Auto Show; I almost always do that the day after Thanksgiving. Held at the Orange County Convention Center, many different automakers are there and you can look and usually sit in new model year vehicles, including the Corvette, Camaro and Mustang. Just getting in the building did not make me happy. At least getting off of 528, there were no signs at all telling you where to go (it may be different if you went south to the OCCC) or where to park. I figured it out on my own due to past visits. However, there were then no exact signs on where people should park, as the complex is huge, has several buildings and the parking lot is huge. So, I had to do extra walking on top of a day where I had to do a lot of hoofing and I did not like that.

Otherwise, it was a nice time there. It is always nice seeing new model cars, whether they are the same from the previous few years, were refreshed/redesigned for this year, or are brand new models. An example of the latter is the Alfa Romeo 4C. Alfa left the United States market 20 years ago and just now officially returned. The 4C is a great-looking sports car and it's either a coupe or a convertible. It got a lot of attention as it looks tremendous. I got to sit in it for a bit (another nice aspect is that most of the vehicles there, you can sit in) and there isn't too much room in there for a guy my size. Still, I wish I could own it... but it's well north of 50,000 bucks so that won't be happening except in my dreams. I ate dinner there of pizza and some Sierra Mist and overall it is swell to go there each late November.

The weekend, I did not do a thing, which was fine by me. I was happy to relax. When I return a week from today, nothing is on the agenda quite yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment