Monday, November 23, 2015

Mountain Man Crunch, Free Play Florida, Atari Jaguar, & TurboGrafx-16

Here's what I've done since last Monday. On the 16th the only thing I did of note was end up at a Denny's and that went fine. I had a Super Bird, as that's typically a reliable meal there. On the way back home I ended up at a Planet Smoothie, where I had a new limited edition beverage, that being Mountain Man Crunch, which had such things as granola, bananas, peanut butter, and honey. Yeah, it was tasty. Tuesday, I had plans to do something interesting but due to things out of my control (such as driving in an area I am not familiar with and it's a place where there's poor or no signs to help out a stranger) I had to pull something out of my butt and I did salvage something out of a day that was looking rather poor. I'd rather not get into the specifics of what I was going to do or the things that did not go right, so let me be more positive.

I ended up at a random Perkins restaurant; the one in town closed down awhile ago and I hadn't gone to one since then. The food at this particular place wasn't great but it was still fine. I then returned to a familiar haunt-Disney Springs and I walked around there for a bit. I quenched my thirst at Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar and was amused by the lady who sat by me as she was quite buzzed, to say the least. I then went to the Christmas store they have on property and got gingerbread popcorn, as it sounded so strange. I haven't tried it yet.

Wednesday, I went with someone to the local Chili's for dinner. We both enjoyed our meals. Me, I could have done without the incredibly annoying family who sat close by but at least they left while we were eating dinner. Thursday I didn't do anything as I knew Friday through Sunday would be eventful, which they were. Friday and Saturday was Free Play Florida, one of those events where you pay a flat fee at the door, a wristband is put on you and you get to play a panoply of old pinball tables and arcade machines and those events are always fun.

Friday was opening day and it was at the Hilton hotel by Sea World and that's where it was held last year also. I am not the biggest fan of the place for various reasons but I won't get into that. It was a nicely put-together shindig; you can't do much about the old machines sometimes breaking down; it happens. There were plenty of different tables and games there that had not been there in previous years so I was happy to try them out.  A Sword of Fury table with no sound is lame as it's a loud game with cool sound effects, and not just the yelling of LIONMAN, LIONMAN at random times.

I've talked about classic tables before so I'll just mention that out of the new ones there, some of the old “ding-ding” tables from the 60's or so were cool, and I also liked Fish Tales, Popeye and I especially dug the virtual pinball tables present, where each one had over 100 classic roms on it and when I was doing that it was a nice blast from the past, as at Illinois State University they once had Baywatch and Guns N' Roses pinball, which I did play way back when. So it was a nice time overall. In addition, there was a separate room where there were some console tournaments, incredibly loud and nauseating little boys, and such obscure old console systems as Atari Jaguar or TurboGrafx-16. If you had either 20 years old you'd be considered hot stuff... and had to be doing pretty well wealth-wise as well. I had to try out both for the first time and they do have their charms.

Sunday, I returned to the World of Beer to watch the Bears play against the Broncos. Sigh... besides it being another close game that Chicago lost late, there were too many loudmouth cretins that constantly made noise as if they were circus seals, clapping and bellowing and hollering... I was thankful I had a few beverages while there. The fact that they now serve brunch early on the weekends meant I had some tasty blueberry waffles.

While it may not be as entertaining as the week I just had, the upcoming 7 days I do have some activities planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment