Monday, October 26, 2015

Back To The Future, Dracula, Tokyo Sexwale And Too Drunk To Karaoke

This past weekend (this was before it became a Twitter trending topic today) I discovered that a South African man (a longtime politician) wants to be the next president of FIFA and his name is TOKYO SEXWALE. That's not his real first name but it came as a kid as he did karate. Amazing all around. Just today I discovered that another FIFA candidate is named Jerome Champagne, and that is also great.

Here's a recap of what I've done in the past week. Monday and Tuesday were dull. The newest Star Wars trailer was fine and all but it didn't blow me away... and I've loved the original three films since a kid. Trailers just don't do it for me anymore. The fact that it debuted on TV during a football game in a gross attempt for ratings... that still puts a rancid taste in my mouth. When the highlight otherwise was going to the local library... so let me go back in time to Wednesday. That ended up being Back to the Future Day all across the world and I celebrated it by going to Lakeland and the Cinemark there, so I could watch all three movies back to back to back on a giant screen. I never had a problem there but alas... things changed.

Now, it was nice seeing those movies on the big screen; I did not see them often when I was a kid, which is unlike most people, apparently. Still, I enjoy all three for sure. The turnout was nice and aside from some typically annoying 12 year old boys (are there any that aren't?) I had little problem with the audience. Unfortunately, the people who run that joint were stupid and apparently had no idea this event would be popular, so they were understaffed and those that were there were not good at their jobs; it took way too long just to get a simple hot dog. I was not happy, and even though the place is real nice and all, that day soured me on going there for awhile; there are plenty of theatres closer by me I can go to that I have no issue with.

Thursday, I went with someone I know to a Sam's Club. They have membership there and we both needed items. I got such things as Gatorade, V8 and candy. After that we went to the nearby Logan's Roadhouse, where my meal of a bacon cheeseburger turned out well but that other person had problems with their meal, mainly that it was undercooked. They played modern country music while we were there and that is something I never listen to. Some of those songs are so goofy I can't help but chortle. One that almost literally made me laugh out loud was something called Too Drunk to Karaoke, from Jimmy Buffett and Toby Keith. It's exactly how you'd imagine it to be. In terms of food, I guess the next time we go to Sam's Club we'll visit another restaurant instead. 

Also on Thursday, the chord to my laptop (which I've had for several years and eventually I'll get a new one; I just don't know when quite yet; it may be many months down the road) stopped working. I wish it would have lasted a day longer as a few days beforehand it started acting bad so I ordered a replacement one and it didn't come until Friday. I worked around it on Thursday by borrowing someone else's computer, but it was still a hassle. Anyhow, Saturday I did not do a thing so let me skip ahead to Sunday. 

On that day I went and saw a pair of real old movies on the big screen, the 1931 Bela Lugosi Dracula then a Spanish language version with a different cast that they shot at the same time. It was presented by Turner Classic Movies and Fathom Events. I decided to go to Winter Park Village as I hadn't been there in a long while; I hadn't eaten at a Lime Fresh Mexican Grill in at least a year and I hadn't gone to the Regal Cinemas there in many months. The drive there and back wasn't the best as I dealt with some real idiots, and there was even a dope or two at the Lime restaurant. But, the food at Lime was good, the lady who took my order was real nice, and as there was only two other people at the theatre, I had no problem there. I enjoyed seeing both on the big screen.

When I return a week from today, I do have some plans in mind so it won't be a boring time for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment