Monday, September 7, 2015

Labor Day, Lazy Fast Food Customers & Via|Port Florida

Thankfully there wasn't any hurricanes or tropical storms to deal with in the past week, as feared beforehand. It was still a week where several days were filled with rain but I managed that and it was better than the alternative. By the way, it was recently that I heard the giant Flea World flea market up in Sanford that has been open for many years... it closed down and they're going to build something “more profitable” on the land. Lame. I went there a few times throughout the years and besides always marveling at the sort of customers they drew, I also bought some cheap items there like games and movies. There are other flea markets around but I will miss going there.

This past Monday, I went and got a new cell phone at the local Verizon store. I won't go into detail on what I got except that it works for me and my tastes and that is what counts. While there, there were no shortage of dumb people there. The employees were fine but the customers were such people as a pair of grey-haired ladies who were looking for new phones and a new data plan; this went about as smoothly as you could imagine. For hardcore horror fans, though, you'll laugh as you hear that there briefly was a young lady there who looked like Sandra from the second Friday the 13th movie.

Tuesday, I happened to be in Orlando so I figured it was about time to return to the I-Drive 360 area and I ate again at the Tin Roof restaurant. I still don't know if the roof is rusted or not but at least they make some tasty food and they play the sort of music for me, i.e. mostly 80's tunes, and their inclusion of the live Grateful Dead song Deal from one of their Egypt concerts was a quality deep cut. Wednesday and Thursday I didn't do anything and Friday I had to be out and about in Orlando and between the quite rainy weather, the even worse than usual traffic and the street lights being out for part of the journey... not a fun experience.

Saturday I stayed in and partially paid attention to the start of the college football season. I still say that major college sports is corrupt and hot garbage but I am fine with only halfway paying attention to it. Sunday, that was a day where I could go out as I am not doing a thing during Labor Day today. I looked online to see if the almost dead mall up in Leesburg known as the Lake Square Mall is still open and I saw it has a name change. A Turkish company bought it and it now has the rather odd name of Via|Port Florida. I wanted to check it out, so I did, and...

The place may have a new coat of paint, a new fountain in the center of the mall and the food court does look more modern, but overall it's still the same old small drab place with not a lot of stores and only a few places I am interested in, such as the Books-A-Million. It's slightly less behind the times, in other words. They are supposed to add more things to it and hopefully it will survive as I don't want to see them close down. After that I went to a place I've talked about once before, that being the Rural King store; the name says it all as to what they sell. All the Belvidere people reading this will understand what I mean when I say it is like the Farm & Fleet store; it's for farmer types and/or individuals who love Duck Dynasty. There definitely were some “colorful characters” present but I did get some food & drink and a cheap shirt.

After that I drove home and as it was on the way I stopped at a Wendy's for some dinner. Now, various times in the past I have noted how I've seen things in Florida that even catch me off guard and surprise me, whether it's on the road or in person. That goes along with those moments that could only happen to me. Well, the former happened on this rainy early evening. I went in and I was shocked to see a middle aged woman waiting in line... sitting in a chair her son brought over! Now, if that woman was disabled or had a hard time getting around, that was one thing. But seeing her move about afterwards, I am quite confident in saying she was just lazy; that definitely was something I had never seen before.

Today I did not do anything on this Labor Day. I just got tied up in things at home so that's the reason why I am posting this a little later than usual. I should be back at the usual time next Monday, and I do have a thing or two in mind when it comes to activities to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment