Monday, September 21, 2015

Lilly's On The Lake, Southeastern University & The Ballad Of Jimmy Clausen

Here's a recap of what I did in the past week. Monday and Tuesday I did not do anything of note so let me skip ahead to Wednesday. On that day, I went with someone to a new restaurant in downtown Clermont; at least it was new to us. “Another party” was the source of this information about the joint known as Lilly's on the Lake, which does live up to its name in terms of location. It serves a decent variety of food and at least there was a burger and fries for me. Turns out, it is a place I recommend. The place looks nice, their food is good (the person I went with also enjoyed their meal) and I have no complaints with it. Hopefully they stick around and are a success.

Thursday and Friday were more boring days so I'll skip by those. People don't need to hear me carp about such things as local traffic or how too many A-holes tailgate me, as I do such things often enough already. So, let me skip ahead to a much more eventful weekend. I decided it was time to attend a local football game, as I hadn't done so in 11 months. This time I drove to Lakeland to go to Southeastern University, a Christian school... which is why before the game there was a prayer delivered; that was out of the norm for me. Just last year the school started a football program and I did not go to any of their games, even though against the competition they've gone against they have done well. Their opponents on this day was Concordia College out of Alabama. Considering that before this game they had lost 22 out of their last 23 games... I know it wouldn't be a competitive matchup but I still wanted to attend.

I made the drive there and I could take the scenic route through some quite rural areas. It's nice... at least the parts where there is little to no other vehicles around. I ate at a Zaxby's as it was on the way and I only go there once in a blue moon. They make decent food and that was the case on this night. I could have done without the Mercedes S-Class almost hitting me while changing lanes but sad to say, such incidents in this state happen often.

They play at Victory Field and it's a quite nice little stadium that can hold about 3,500 people, although a little less than 2,000 were there. I was happy to give some cash to them as I want to make sure small programs like them stick around; I know that football teams are a big expense for colleges, especially if they ever have to fly anywhere. The weather was warm but fine; while there was a half hour weather delay for lightning it did not rain a drop. As for the game, the Southeastern Fire (yes, I heard several puns concerning their name) won 37-7 in a game more dominant for them than the score would suggest. No offense to Concordia but they are a poor football team and they made many mistakes. While I don't know when, I'll go back there in future years as it's not a far drive and like I said it's a nice stadium.

Sunday-even though I was exhausted from the night before-I decided to go out and see the Bears play, so I returned to Twin Peaks to have lunch, a cold beverage and check out all of the games. I expected Chicago to lose to Arizona and I was not proven wrong. The game started off badly and never got better from there. Arizona blew them out. Chicago's regular QB-Jay Cutler-got hurt and even though he's bad now, his backup Jimmy Clausen is horrible. He was never a good NFL quarterback but he was a special kind of awful in this game. I have seen plenty of bad Bears QB's in the past quarter century or so... such illustrious names as Cade McNown, Craig Krenzel, Henry Burris and Peter Tom Willis. Clausen looked worse than all of them. I decided to pay attention to other games instead. I left before the games were over due to me getting fed up with the sports fans there. It was the usual loudmouth idiocy but it was a few in particular that ruined it. Loudly dropping F-bombs when there was obviously young children around... nice, real nice. I wasn't in the mood for such gross behavior so I got out of there when I could. To be honest, I don't even know if I'll go out to see them play against Seattle this upcoming Sunday, as not only will it be another bad loss, but in the evening I have to make another airport run.

When I return a week from today... as I sometimes say, I do have a few things on the agenda so it should be at least a halfway interesting post I'll make. I doubt it'll be as interesting as what I wrote today, but who knows... 

No comments:

Post a Comment