Monday, March 16, 2015

That One Time I Caused Controversy... Once Again

I will have to do something different this time; I will talk about what I did on Saturday and how I know some people will probably not be happy with what I did, but I'll explain my actions now. After that I'll return to talking about my week in chronological order.

Saturday the 14th, I was actually thinking of something I almost never do anymore: attend a local independent pro wrestling show. I won't get into the reasons why I slowed down going to them a few years ago and then just stopped entirely, but I doubt I'll ever make those reasons public. I had the itch to go to another one and there was a show in Orlando on this day which had a nice card. Now, UFC had a pay per view and the PPV portion also had a nice card but I was willing to make that sacrifice to see some local grappling. Well... I went there even if it's a building I've been to often as many promotions have had shows there and I've stated numerous times before how that building is on the outskirts of the ghetto and you have to drive through the ghetto to get there. Besides there not being that many parking spaces, I am always worried about my vehicle being broken into; I am just thankful it has never happened.

I wanted to get there before the doors were supposed to open due to the parking issue. I expected the doors not to open on time at 7:30 as unfortunately, most of the local wrestling shows I attended in the past did not open on time or start on time. Back then I thought that trope was amusing. Now, being older and more mature, I am much less willing to put up with such things. Now, I don't know if the ring got there late, if the building caused problems or what, but doors were supposed to open at 7:30. 7:45, doors are still closed and I had to be around some horrible human beings who fit all the bad stereotypes of pro wrestling fans, and I just got fed up with it and I wasn't going to stand there for who knows how long just waiting to get in because they can't get their crap together, so I left and did other things.

I realize some people I know will be quite angry with me for making this decision, and I am sorry they'll feel that way. But, how angry were those people who had to wait all that extra time standing in line? I don't regret what I did and who knows when I'll go to a show in the future. Instead, I tried out something new and I saw the UFC PPV on the big screen... in Lakeland at the Cinemark, a place opened last year and I think is very nice and if it was closer I'd go there more often. 

I made the drive to Lakeland on the notorious Interstate 4; for it being a Saturday evening the traffic wasn't that bad. I stopped at a Walmart in Lakeland and I got gas and picked up some items. I knew that the time and place would result in me seeing some incredible-looking people there but even I was taken aback by seeing such things as a woman with a hairstyle straight out of the 1960's; it was gigantic and I don't know if you'd call it a bouffant or something else, but it was amazing. I then drove over to see UFC and I wasn't disappointed. Now, onto the rest of the week:

Monday the 9th I did go out and about. In the evening I went to the arthouse joint for the Orlando area known as the Enzian to watch a foreign film, the New Zealand horror comedy mockumentary about a house full of vampires known as What We Do in the Shadows. I hadn't been there since last summer where I saw a great movie but it was almost ruined by A-holes in the crowd. Now, the place has to tell it audiences not to be A-holes and yet it happened again, which is very disappointing. Even with those jerks, the movie is still great and I highly recommend it.

Tuesday I didn't do anything but Wednesday, I went to dinner with a parent and a friend who is down here from out of state for a vacation, which happens every year. The place decided upon to visit was the local Texas Roadhouse in town, and that was a nice decision. Thursday, we went out to another restaurant for dinner, and it was a place I had recently been to, Hurricane Grill & Wings. 

It was a nice meal there and a hilarious moment happened as I scarfed down some boneless wings. A booth a short distance away was right by the emergency exit, which had a message in big letters right on the door: something to the effect of “Opening this door will sound the alarm”. An older gentleman from the booth got up and went outside. I thought, “Is this dumbass actually going to open the door? How can he not see it's only an emergency exit?” I could have gotten up and tried to run over to stop him or yell at him to stop, but besides maybe not being able to stop him in time... it was indeed pretty hilarious as he actually did open the door and the alarm sounded! I hope that dope learned his lesson.

Friday, I once again went out with those two and they decided upon the Ale House. I was happy to go to that restaurant, although it was packed and judging by the parking lot, filled with tourists, including plenty of people from Canada, a country I'd like to visit again one of these years. The food was good although the waiter looked like a douche and considering I had to remind him that the drinks we ordered were clearly not on our table... I'll have to presume he actually is a douche.

Skipping Saturday, I did not do a thing on Sunday, and I am OK with that. When I return a week from today, I imagine I'll be less controversial. I have some ideas of what I'll be doing, and I doubt my plans will be changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment