Monday, February 2, 2015

Bam Bam Bigelow, How The West Was Won & The Superb Owl

Yes, like last February I am borrowing “the superb owl” joke from someone I know when referring to the Super Bowl.

I had some interesting moments this past week. It doesn't apply to Monday the 26th but on the 27th it wasn't the best day. I went to Walmart to pick up a few items. Otherwise it wasn't the best day as I had bad luck with various things, from my laptop (I fixed that) to Internet issues and I even had problems with watching a DVD, as the disc suddenly stopped working and “annoying” is the best way to describe Tuesday.

Wednesday was better. My plans for the evening was that I would see on the big screen the early 60's classic How the West Was Won on the big screen. I had heard it was great (an opinion my parents shared) so I wanted to see it. They were only showing it at the Cinemark at what is now the Artegon Mall. Before going there I had dinner on I-Drive, and it was at... Hooters! It was a location that I hadn't been to before; it's been open for a little more than a year. It's a lot fancier-looking than a typical Hooters, that's for sure. I had the boneless wings w/ fries and a frosty beverage. It was good. 

I then went to Artegon and I walked around to kill time, and I noticed that not a lot of customers were around, which is bad for a place that just opened with its new artisan-heavy gimmick a little less than 3 months ago. Maybe that location is just doomed and any sort of mall there will never work. As for the film, the staff there was quite stupid so it started a little late; but, the movie is pretty great and it's really best seen on the big screen, like Lawrence of Arabia, which I was lucky to see in a theatre once.

Thursday and Friday were dull. I finished cleaning my room so let me talk about the weekend I had. Saturday night, I returned to Universal Citywalk; this time it was to eat a small meal at their quick eats place known as Bread Box then I saw the latest UFC pay per view on the big screen, this one having the main event of Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz. The former is returning from the horrific injury he suffered 13 months ago while the latter... I've never been a fan of his but then again I do feel bad he has social anxiety issues and other mental health issues. As for the show it was quite entertaining, with some great fights. The Bread Box food was nice too.

Sunday, that was Super Bowl Sunday. This time I decided to keep things simple and I went to the nearby Buffalo Wild Wings to see the game. It didn't really matter to me who even won the game. I've talked enough about how I feel about football in the past few months so I won't rehash it. I still watched the game as I had their boneless wings (again with the Smoldering Santa Fe flavor as it's limited edition) and various beverages; much of the first half wasn't too exciting but after that it was quite thrilling and what an absurd ending it had. As for the non-game happenings...

I've never been a fan of Katy Perry or her music; what I heard from the halftime show was rather terrible (aside from the guest stars, and why were guest stars needed for a 13 minute segment?) but the visuals were rather strange and made me wonder if I had accidentally ingested drugs earlier in the day. Her dressing like 1990's Bam Bam Bigelow made me laugh as a wrestling fan.

The ads weren't so good but then again I tend to think that most years. They usually aren't this depressing, though; it was as if they were directed by Christopher Nolan! Let's not even get into how there was more than one famous song used inappropriately. The feminist commercials were certainly different and as I figured they got meatheads mad, whether it was at BWW or online, so I can be amused by that. And boy were there plenty of meatheads at BWW, making all sorts of noise and generally acting like ogres. Seeing many people lose their minds after the last big play of the game was something, but I was more annoyed than anything else. At least there were moments that made me laugh, such as what happened when one idiot ordered the dish that was several hot pretzels presented on a platter. I presumed that everyone knew how if you ordered pretzels in a restaurant they'd be of the soft variety and thus warm if not hot. Well, I presumed wrong! This Rhodes Scholar dropped one of the pretzels on the ground as he did not know it'd be hot! I kid you not. I hate saying “typical sports fan” about him but maybe I should, considering how I've felt about such people these past few months.

Anyhow, despite the negatives last night was definitely memorable and wacky. When I return a week from today, I am not quite sure what I'll be writing about. It'll likely be a quieter week than what I had just experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment